BRISBANE WRITERS FESTIVAL – BRISBANE. The BWF is on from Wednesday, 6 September to Sunday, 10 September 2017. During the festival you can catch up with SALLYANNE ATKINS, former journo, author of several books, and former Lord Mayor of Brisbane, Senior Trade Commissioner to Parks, and Special Representative for Queensland in South East Asia. These days Sallyanne contributes to newspapers and regularly appears on television and radio as well enjoying her time as a mother and grandmother. You can catch her in two sessions at the BWF, ‘Through the Glass Ceiling’ and chairing ‘Vintage Value’, a session about what it takes to age well. Visit Sallyanne’s website at http://sallyanneatkinson.com.au for more. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome to Watchwords.
This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
THIS PAGE CONTAINS QUICKLISTS
FOR EVENTS HAPPENING IN BRISBANE AND QUEENSLAND FOR THE CURRENT UPDATE, AS WELL AS OPPORTUNITIES AND COMPETITIONS FOR WRITERS, READERS, ILLUSTRATORS, PERFORMANCE WRITERS AND FILMMAKERS!
See below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs
on the menu at left for the full details of:
- 'WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?' – events of particular interest to writers,
readers, illustrators, artists and filmmakers.
- 'COMPETITIONS' – competitions
and opportunities for writers of poetry and prose as well as illustrators and performance writers creating works for stage, TV, film and multi-platform applications.
- 'WHAT'S ON NOW' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy. (NOTE: Due to the large number of events, this section has been moved to a second Quicklists
page at EVENT QUICKLISTS! P2.
THIS WEBSITE WAS
UPDATED ON WEDNESDAY, 6 SEPTEMBER 2017
'WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?' – events
of particular interest to writers, readers, illustrators, artists and filmmakers.
These pages were updated on Wednesday, 6 September 2017.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?
- It’s back! This year, the BRISBANE WRITERS FESTIVAL celebrates The Big
Stories (and the little ones in between) with over 100 authors coming to Brisbane to celebrate our shared love of literature. Head for the State Library of Queensland (SLQ) and other venues in the Cultural Precinct, Stanley Place, South Bank, Brisbane. The
BWF is ON NOW and runs until Sunday, 10 September 2017.
- For those who can’t get into the city, once again the BRISBANE WRITERS
FESTIVAL (in cooperation with BBC and Logan libraries) will bring FREE BWF AUTHOR TALKS to your local Brisbane and Logan North Libraries on Friday, 8 September and Saturday, 9 September 2017. Please see the listing for details of who will be where and when.
- MARIA LEWIS hosts a free day of interaction with young adult fiction superstars and fresh voices in LOVE YA!, BWF’s annual celebration
of Young Adult fiction, at the Brisbane Square Library on Saturday, 9 September 2017 from 11.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Join author CHRISTINE
WELLS as she discusses her novel of passion, intrigue and betrayal – The Traitor’s Girl, at the Banyo Library on Saturday, 9 September 2017.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S
ON AUTHORS P2
- Join Brisbane-based journalists HELEN GOLTZ and CHRIS ADAMS for
GRAVE TALES: STORIES NOT LAID TO REST, in which they reveal the amazing stories they have uncovered from five cemeteries around Brisbane. Grave Tales will be told in the Coopers Plains, Chermside, Inala, Bracken Ridge, Kenmore and Ashgrove
libraries between Saturday, 9 September and Friday, 29 September 2017. Please see the individual listing for details of dates and times.
actors from the BRISBANE SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL TROUPE for an hour-long reading of ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA (with commentary and music), at the Garden City Library on Saturday, 9 September, the Wynnum library on Saturday morning, 16 September 2017, and
the Sunnybank Hills Library on Saturday afternoon, 16 September 2017.
- Award-winning author CHRIS WOMERSLEY will
be in conversation with CHLOE TOWNSEND to discuss his new novel City of Crows, the story of a woman’s crusade to rescue her son in seventeenth century France. Book in at Riverbend Books, Bulimba for Monday,
11 September 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
- SHAKESPEARE’S GLOBE is an introduction to Elizabethan Theatre and how Shakespeare’s famous
Globe Theatre helped to develop it and still continues to influence productions today. Get thee to the Mount Ommaney Library on Wednesday, 13 September, and the Ashgrove Library on Friday, 15 September 2017.
- Join a special reading from Little Golden Books and reminisce about your memories of reading this special collection in THE READING HOUR 2017: READING IS GOLDEN ─ LITTLE
GOLDEN BOOK MEMORIES, at the Fairfield Library on Thursday, 14 September 2017 from 5.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P3
- In an AGATHA CHRISTIE MOVIE AND LITERARY REVIEW, see one of the early film versions of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, in which detective Hercule Poirot is called upon to solve a mysterious murder carried out aboard the
famous train. It’s happening at the Carindale Library on Friday, 15 September 2017 from 10.00 a.m., to 1.00 p.m.
- Creators and readers
of COMIC BOOKS and GRAPHIC NOVELS will thoroughly enjoy COMIC BOOK MEET UP, a monthly event with Aussie comic creator PAUL MASON. Lots of activities and great prizes to be won for people of all ages at the Brisbane Square Library on Friday, 15 September 2017
from 5.00 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- Like flowers? Want to eat some? Horticulturist and writer LINDA BRENNAN shares
her experience of growing and cooking with edible flowers at the Hamilton Library on Saturday, 16 September and the West End Library on Saturday, 30 September 2017.
- Do you have a fear of flying? Join veteran aviation journalist and air safety investigator CHRISTINE NEGRONI, who will talk about her book Crash
Detectives, which describes crash investigations as well as some miraculous saves. Fly over to Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Monday, 18 September 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
- Join Miles Franklin Literary Award-winning author of The Eye of the Sheep, SOFIE LAGUNA, in conversation with SUZY WILSON to talk about her new novel The Choke, at Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Tuesday, 19 September
2017 at 6.30 p.m.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P4
- Budding poets, seasoned peddlers of prose, or those who simply appreciate the spoken word, will thoroughly enjoy an evening of poetic performance at POETS UP LATE at the Wynnum Library on Thursday, 21 September 2017 at 6.00 p.m.
- How well do we know our parents and those close to us? Find out by joining author of The Promise Seed, CASS MORIARTY, to discuss her new book Parting
Words at Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Thursday, 21 September 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
- Join author and musician RUTH BONETTI for the second
instalment of her thrilling family migration story, Midnight Sun to Southern Cross, in which the Back brothers flee to Australia from Russian-occupied Finland. Ruth will be at the Toowong Library on Friday, 22 September and the Corinda Library on
Tuesday, 26 September 2017.
- Join author YVONNE MATTA to discuss researching and writing her bookNo
Stone Unturned, and having to flee the 1975 civil war in Lebanon to start again in Australia. Meet Yvonne at the Carina Library on Saturday, 23 September 2017.
- With property prices spiralling out of control, TIM O’DWYER’s Real Estate Escapes is a timely collection of true property parables. Talk to him and see if he has some answers
for you, at the Garden City Library on Saturday, 23 September 2017.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P5
- If you enjoy great storytelling
with a few laughs thrown in, while looking at some great photos, this session with photographer GIULIO SAGGIN is for you. Snap into the Indooroopilly Library on Saturday, 23 September 2017.
- Author MELISSA ASHLEY’s debut novel, The Birdman’s Wife (recently nominated for an Indie Book Award) is the story of artist Elizabeth Gould who was overshadowed by her more famous husband.
Meet Melissa at the Brisbane Square Library on Sunday, 24 September 2017.
- If you’ve been feeling that everything is getting away
from you lately, slow living devotee BROOKE McALARY, creator of the award-winning Slow Your Home podcast, will be chatting to LAURA SWEEN on how to make life more fulfilling
─ slowly! at Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Monday, 25 September 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
- TROVE is a resource no writer should be without. Learn
about TROVE BASICS at the Brisbane Square Library on Wednesday, 27 September 2017.
- Tributes, Initiates, Sherlockians and other avid fans
will enjoy meeting up at FANDOM HAVEN for trivia, games and giveaways. The Haven will shelter you at the Bracken Ridge Library on Wednesday, 27 September, and the Indooroopilly Library on Thursday, 28 September 2017.
'COMPETITIONS' – competitions and opportunities for writers of poetry and prose as
well as illustrators and performance writers creating works for stage, TV, film and multi-platform applications.
pages were updated on Wednesday, 6 September 2017.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details:
- THE WOLLONGONG WRITERS FESTIVAL SHORT STORY PRIZE will be awarded for a story up to 2,500 words on the theme ‘World-Changing Words’. Entries close on Friday, 15 September 2017.
- All writers are invited to enter this year’s HORNE PRIZE with an essay of up to 3,000 words addressing some part of the theme ‘Australian life’. Entrants
need not be published or professional writers, but craft skills of professional calibre are essential. Entries close on Monday, 18 September 2017.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: COMPETITIONS
- THE COPYRIGHT AGENCY AUTHOR
FELLOWSHIPS will award $80,000 to a mid to late career author to be used for the development and creation of work. Applications close at 5.00 p.m. on Monday, 25 September 2017.
- Creative organisations and individuals with major cultural projects on the go are invited to apply for GRANTS FROM THE COPYRIGHT AGENCY. Applications for THE CULTURAL FUND ARE NOW OPEN
and close at 5.00 p.m. on Monday 9, October, 2017.
- Ballarat Writers Inc. invites writers to enter the 2017 SOUTHERN CROSS LITERARY COMPETITION with an open themed short story up to 3,000 words. Entries close
on Monday, 16 October 2017.
- click here for more details: COMPETITIONS P.3
- FOR WRITERS PREPARED TRAVEL TO IRELAND TO PITCH THEIR NOVEL! Bypass
the slush pile, pitch your ideas, and place your synopsis and sample chapters directly into the hands of publishers and agents by entering the IRISH WRITERS CENTRE NOVEL FAIR 2018. Entries close on Friday, 20 October 2017.
- The Australian Writers’ Guild sponsors events, festivals, awards and programs that recognise, promote, reward and celebrate the work of screen
and stage writers. See who’s eligible.
- The Brisbane City Council is seeking public event visionaries for its CREATIVE EVENTS REGISTER.
If you’ve got a bright idea, register now.
For TV, film/other media and platforms: click here for more
details: THEATRE, FILM & TV
- The Australian
Writers’ Guild sponsors events, festivals, awards and programs that recognise, promote, reward and celebrate the work of screen and stage writers. See who’s eligible.
- The Brisbane City Council is seeking public event visionaries for its CREATIVE EVENTS REGISTER. If you’ve got a bright idea, register now.
- Playwrights from regional or remote areas may apply for travel costs to
attend events and opportunities through the newly established ERIN THOMAS PLAYWRIGHT FUND. There is no deadline for applications.
- Submit your complete screenplay with a treatment, or a comprehensive concept proposal (1–3 pages) to WriteMe Australia, a national screenwriting initiative program which aims to develop exceptional
material into production-ready screenwriting to be produced by the LaRoda Films network. There is no closing date for submissions. All ideas and material exchanged between all parties constitute intellectual property that shall remain the exclusive property
of the originator.
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or
free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Wednesday, 6 September 2017. NOTE: Due to the large number of general events coming up in September 2017, this section has been moved to a second Quicklists page at EVENT QUICKLISTS! P2.
EVENT QUICKLISTS! P2
WHAT'S ON NOW?
THE BRISBANE FESTIVAL – BRISBANE. It’s late at night and the crowds have left ARCADIA at South Bank, but tomorrow Treasury Brisbane Arcadia will be Festival central once more. Our great gathering place on the banks of the Brisbane River is a glittering wonderland, where entry is free day and night. Lose yourself in the Salome Lounge, revel in Little Creatures LIVE, a buzzy bar where the beer is crafty and performances are free, and indulge in food delicacies from six delectable stalls. You might want to immerse yourself in the world-famous The Courier Mail Magic Mirrors Spiegeltent, a spectacular venue of stained glass and mirrors and home to a dazzling array of top-end music acts, floor shows, circus bravery and family fun. Get excited people, because the 2017 BRISBANE FESTIVAL is sure to have something for you. From Saturday, 9 September to Saturday, 30 September 2017 there will be more than 490 ticketed performances and free events, international acts, and exhibitions, which will all end in 20 minutes of glorious fireworks and music at the iconic SUNSUPER RIVERFIRE. Be there! (Photo by L.J. May)