The WONDERLAND FESTIVAL 2018 is back at the Brisbane Powerhouse. As part of the Festival, BABUSHKA are set to weave a fresh hot spell with their brand new show, HAPPILY EVER AFTER, a cabaret performed to rapturous applause at the Queensland Cabaret Festival, Melbourne Cabaret Festival and the Adelaide Fringe Festival. These three unlikely princesses open the genie bottle with a darkly seductive and wickedly funny cabaret that will turn your favourite bedtime stories inside out. Catch the twisted divas at the Visy Theatre, Brisbane Powerhouse, New Farm, from Thursday, 29 November to Saturday, 1 December 2018. For more information about the Festival, and to make online bookings, go to the Brisbane Powerhouse website at https://brisbanepowerhouse.org/festivals/wonderland-festival-2018. (Photo Courtesy of Little Match Productions)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
THIS PAGE CONTAINS QUICKLISTS FOR EVENTS HAPPENING IN BRISBANE AND QUEENSLAND FOR THE CURRENT UPDATE, AS WELL AS OPPORTUNITIES AND COMPETITIONS FOR WRITERS, READERS, ILLUSTRATORS,
PERFORMANCE WRITERS AND FILMMAKERS!
for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details of:
- 'WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?' – events of particular interest to writers, readers, illustrators, artists and filmmakers.
- 'COMPETITIONS' – competitions and opportunities for writers of poetry and prose as well as illustrators and performance writers creating works for stage, TV, film and multi-platform applications.
- 'WHAT'S ON NOW' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy. (NOTE: Due to the
large number of events, this section has been moved to a second Quicklists page at EVENT QUICKLISTS! P2.
THIS WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON FRIDAY, 16 NOVEMBER 2018!
'WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?' – events of particular interest to writers, readers, illustrators, artists and filmmakers.
These pages were updated on Tuesday, 20 November 2018.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?
- Riverbend Books is proud to present an evening with author of the internationally best selling novel The Book Thief, MARKUS ZUSAK, who will talk
about his new novel Bridge of Clay, at the Polding Theatre, Lourdes Hill College, 86 Hawthorne Rd, Hawthorne, at 6.30 p.m. on Wednesday 21 November
- Join PETER FITZSIMONS, Australia’s master storyteller, as he talks like a pirate
and brings to life the dramatic story of Captain William Bligh, Fletcher Christian and history's most famous mutiny on HMS Bounty, with
this theatrical storytelling event followed by a Q&A. Book in for this Talking Ideas session and sail into Auditorium 1, Level 2, State Library of Queensland (SLQ), Cultural Precinct, Stanley Place, South Bank, on Thursday, 22 November
2018 from 7.00 p.m. to 8.15 p.m.
- Does your
book or website need photographs to help you sell your wares? PHOTOGRAPHY FOR YOUR BUSINESS offers hints, tips and tricks to create beautiful product photography to enhance your online store. To find out how you can do it, snap into the Brisbane Square Library
on Saturday, 24 November 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P2
- Join T.M. CLARK, author of My Brother-But-One, Shooting Butterflies, Tears of a Cheetah, and Child of Africa, as she launches her new book, Nature of the Lion. Meet
her at the Brisbane Square Library on Saturday, 24 November 2018 from 2.00 p.m. to
- Join marine biologist DR BLAKE CHAPMAN as she discusses her topical book, Shark Attacks, published by the
CSIRO. Sharks are one of the most polarising and politicised species on the planet for humans. Talk about it at the Brisbane Square Library on Sunday, 25 November 2018 from 11.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon.
- KERRY O’BRIEN
is one of Australia’s most respected journalists, earning six Walkley awards, including the Gold Walkley and the Walkley for Outstanding Leadership in journalism. Hear Kerry IN CONVERSATION to talk about his new memoir – at Griffith University,
South Bank, BRISBANE, on Monday, 26 November 2018, and in TOOWOOMBA at the Centro Bar and Restaurant, Centro Building, Level 1, 530 Ruthven Street, Toowoomba, on Wednesday, 28 November 2018.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHATS
ON AUTHORS P3
- In TONY PARK’s new book, Scent of Fear, Afghanistan veteran Sean Bourke’s
world explodes when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonates in South Africa’s Sabi Sand Game Reserve. Come along to hear what happens next, at the Carindale Library on Thursday, 29 November 2018 from 6.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- Author KATHERINE JOHNSON previously visited Riverbend to talk about her Tasmanian Literary Award winning novel The Better Son. Now she returns
to speak about her new novel, Matryoshka, in which a lie told by Sara Rose’s grandmother years before begins to unravel a darker truth than Sara ever could have imagined. Meet Katherine at Riverbend Books, Bulimba, on Thursday, 29
November 2018 at 6.30 p.m.
- Meet up with historian and author of more than 20 books, SUSANNA DE VRIES, for a fascinating look
at British royal marriages in her new book, Royal Marriages: Diana, Kate and Meghan and princesses who did not live happily ever after. Take your tiara to the Kenmore Library on Friday, 30 November 2018.
- click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P4
- Local historian and author, JIM LERGESSNER, will talk about his latest book, My Brisbane
Rediscovered, which covers iconic local events and characters from the 1950s to the present. Morning tea will follow the presentation and all visitors are welcome. Meet
up at the Ashgrove Library, 87 Amarna Avenue, Ashgrove on Saturday, 1 December 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon.
- Meet TONI
JORDAN, the award-winning, bestselling author of Addition and Nine Days, to discuss her latest book, The Fragments, at the Carindale Library on Saturday, 1 December 2018 from 2.00 p.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- Enjoy a great evening sorting out your reading list for the summer
with SUZY WILSON and the Riverbend crew, who will discuss their favourite books from 2018. It’s happening at Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Tuesday, 4 December
2018 at 6.30 p.m.
- Riverbend Books is delighted to present internationally bestselling author MATTHEW REILLY, who will speak about his new book The Three Secret Cities at the Michael Zeuschner Hall, Bulimba State School, Oxford
Street, Bulimba, on Wednesday 5 December 2018. at 6.30 p.m.
'COMPETITIONS' – competitions and opportunities for writers of poetry and prose
as well as illustrators and performance writers creating works for stage, TV, film and multi-platform applications.
pages were updated on Friday, 16 November 2018.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: COMPETITIONS ETC.
- Enter the OVERLAND NEILMA SIDNEY SHORT STORY PRIZE for short fiction of up to 3,000 words on the theme of ‘travel’, and submit to Overland Magazine by Monday,
19 November 2018.
- The OVERLAND JUDITH WRIGHT POETRY PRIZE FOR NEW AND EMERGING POETS is seeking poetry by
writers who have published no more than one collection under their own name. Submit your entry to Overland Magazine by Monday, 19 November 2018.
- The CWA (UK) alerts you to THE INKSHARES 2018 MYSTERY & THRILLER CONTEST, which runs through until Thursday, 22 November. The contest will select at least three mystery or thriller novels for publishing and representation.
The selections will be made both by Inkshares editors and by Inkshares’ community of readers.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: COMPETITIONS P.2
- It’s time once more to enter
the Australian Book Review’s PETER PORTER POETRY PRIZE worth a total of AU$8,500, plus publication in ABR. Entries close at midnight on Monday, 3 December 2018.
- BIG SKY PUBLISHING is a publisher of non-fiction adult titles and is currently WELCOMING MANUSCRIPTS IN THE FOLLOWING GENRES: history, military history, true crime, current affairs, self-help, health, business,
lifestyle, auto/biography and humour. Email your effort to them now!
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: COMPETITIONS P.3
- Submissions for the 2018 BUZZ WORDS SHORT STORY PRIZE are
now open! The prize celebrates excellence in Short Story writing by adults writing for children. The word limit is 1,500 words and the story must be suitable for readers 8 to 11 years. Entries close at 4.00 p.m. on Wednesday,
31 December 2018.
- The CREATIVE SPACES WEBSITE is a FREE TOOL that makes it easy to find space for creative purposes. It includes a searchable
database, case studies, resources and a regular newsletter that allows users to source and promote venues and spaces nationwide.
- The Australian Writers’ Guild sponsors events, festivals, awards and programs that recognise, promote, reward and celebrate the work of screen and stage writers. See who’s eligible.
- The Brisbane City Council is
seeking public event visionaries for its CREATIVE EVENTS REGISTER. If you’ve got a bright idea, register now.
PAGE 4 - For TV, film/other media
and platforms: click here for more details: THEATRE, FILM & TV
Australian Writers’ Guild sponsors events, festivals, awards and programs that recognise, promote, reward and celebrate the work of screen and stage writers. See who’s eligible.
- The Brisbane City Council is seeking public event visionaries for its CREATIVE EVENTS REGISTER. If you’ve got
a bright idea, register now.
from regional or remote areas may apply for travel costs to attend events and opportunities through the newly established ERIN THOMAS PLAYWRIGHT FUND. There is no deadline for applications.
- Submit your complete screenplay with a treatment, or a comprehensive concept proposal (1–3 pages)
to WriteMe Australia, a national screenwriting initiative program which aims to develop exceptional material into production-ready screenwriting to be produced by the LaRoda Films network. There is no closing date for submissions. All ideas and material exchanged
between all parties constitute intellectual property that shall remain the exclusive property of the originator.
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
pages were updated on Friday, 16 November 2018. Due to the large number of general events coming up in November
2018, this section has been moved to a second Quicklists page at EVENT QUICKLISTS! P2.
WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?
WHAT'S ON NOW?
FASHION EVENTS are really in style this month. The RECREATE FASHION SHOW AND TWILIGHT MARKET proudly celebrates National Recycling Week 2018. ‘Recreate’ features couture created by a collection of Brisbane’s best fashion designers from recycled materials, as well as handmade artisan wares at the BrisStyle Market stalls, plus your favourite food trucks. This recycling-themed twilight market and fashion show is all about recognising Brisbane’s recycling efforts and inspiring even more recycling for a cleaner, greener city. It’s on Friday, 16 November 2018 from 4.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. in King George Square, Brisbane City. On the same theme, with WORN OUT? 2018, we celebrate and showcase the creativity of the re-fashion and Cosplay communities in Brisbane. Reverse Garbage Queensland and Textile Beat proudly present an exhibition of sustainable wearable art and invite you to ask the question: Is it really worn out? Or just starting a whole new life? Find out at the Princess Theatre, 8 Annerley Road, Woolloongabba, on Saturday, 24 November 2018 from 7.00 p.m. to 9.30 p.m. (Photo by L.J. May)