MARRIAGE EQUALITY? Australia says YES! Wednesday, 15 November 2017. It was a moment of great emotion for many couples. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
THIS PAGE CONTAINS QUICKLISTS FOR EVENTS HAPPENING IN BRISBANE AND QUEENSLAND FOR THE CURRENT UPDATE, AS WELL AS OPPORTUNITIES AND COMPETITIONS FOR WRITERS,
READERS, ILLUSTRATORS, PERFORMANCE WRITERS AND FILMMAKERS!
See below for a brief overview of what's
happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details of:
ON AUTHORS?' – events of particular interest to writers, readers, illustrators, artists and filmmakers.
- 'COMPETITIONS' – competitions and opportunities for writers of poetry and prose as well as illustrators and performance writers creating works for stage, TV, film and multi-platform
- 'WHAT'S ON NOW' – low cost or free
general events for you and your family to enjoy. (NOTE: Due to the large number of events, this section has been moved to a second Quicklists page at EVENT QUICKLISTS! P2.
WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON FRIDAY, 3 NOVEMBER 2017
'WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?' – events of particular interest to writers,
readers, illustrators, artists and filmmakers.
These pages were updated on Friday, 3 November 2017.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS?
- Beginners or for those looking to brush up on their writing skills will want to nurture their inner storyteller with an INTRODUCTION TO CREATIVE WRITING
WORKSHOP presented by the Queensland Writers Centre (QWC) at the Sunnybank Hills Library on Saturday, 4 November 2017.
across Brisbane will celebrate the release of the new film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express. They will hold discussions and trivia sessions at various times from Saturday, 4 November until Saturday, 11 November 2017.
See the What’s On web pages for more details of when and where.
- Join award-winning author RACHAEL JOHNS as she
discusses her latest novel, The Greatest Gift at the Chermside Library on Monday, 6 November and the Carindale Library on Tuesday, 7 November 2017 from 6.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- From stage actor and international television star, to bestselling author, JUDY NUNN’s rising career path has been meteoric. Join Judy as she discusses her new novel Sanctuary at the
Brisbane Square Library on Thursday, 9 November 2017 from 6.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P2
- At a GENRE LITERARY SALON AND BOOK SIGNING, join international bestselling author NALINI SINGH, Star Wars universe writer DELILAH S. DAWSON, major genre award winners and emerging genre writers, as
they read their work ahead of GenreCon 2017. Head for Auditorium 1, Level 2, State Library of Queensland (SLQ) on Friday, 10 November 2017 from 5.30 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- Meet the spooky ‘Man in Black’, JACK SIM, to hear chilling stories of crime and things that go bump in the night, at the Garden City Library on Saturday, 11 November, Indooroopilly Library on Saturday,
18 November, and the Corinda Library on Saturday, 25 November 2017.
- Like flowers? Want to eat some? Horticulturist
and writer LINDA BRENNAN shares her experience of growing and cooking with edible flowers at the Brisbane Square Library on Sunday, 12 November 2017.
- Join intrepid Australian investigative journalist CHRIS MASTERS, who went deep into the heart of our Special Forces’ long war in Afghanistan in an extraordinary investigation undertaken over a period of
ten years. In his book No Front Line, he gives our elite soldiers a voice. Meet him to discuss it at Riverbend Books, Bulimba, on Monday, 13 November 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
- Join one of Australia's literary greats, PETER CAREY, for breakfast, when he will talk with author and journalist, MATTHEW CONDON, about
his new novel, A Long Way from Home. Book in at Riverbend Books, Bulimba for Wednesday, 15 November 2017 at 7.00 a.m. sharp.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details:
WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P3
- Australia’s Queen of Television KERRI-ANNE KENNERLEY has forged a 50-year career on stage and the small screen, but in her private life she has
been hit with a series of blows that would flatten most people. Join Kerri-Anne in conversation with author and journalist FRANCES WHITING as she discusses her new book A Bold Life. It’s on in the Ithaca Auditorium, Brisbane City Hall on
Wednesday, 15 November 2017 from 6.30 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Enjoy an entertaining evening of performances by professional
and award-winning poets at POETS UP LATE, and sign up on the night for the open microphone session at the Wynnum Library on Thursday, 16 November 2017 from 6.00 p.m.
- Were you fascinated by the story of ‘Station X’, AKA known as Bletchley Park, and the mysterious workings of MI5, MI6 and SOE during WW2? Australia had its own intelligence
services and they significantly influenced the course of the War in the Pacific. Meet DAVID DUFTY, who will talk about his new book of military history The Secret Code-Breakers of Central Bureau. Slip into the Carindale Library on Thursday, 16 November
2017 from 6.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m., and the Hamilton Library on Saturday, 25 November 2017 from 2.00 p.m. to 3.00 p.m.
how to use your journal to find your authentic voice during this practical JOURNALING FOR WRITERS WORKSHOP presented by the Queensland Writers Centre (QWC) at the Grange Library on Saturday, 18 November 2017.
- Bestselling author-turned-history-detective KAZ COOKE has conjured up the amazing life of ADA DELROY, comedian and dancer, whose troupe travelled
the world with spectacular performances that made her a household name in Australia and New Zealand more than 100 years ago. Talk to Kaz about it at Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Tuesday, 21 November 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P4
- If you fancy being an urban farmer, get all the expert information and techniques you need to grow your own edible plants in the city inGROW
YOUR OWN with ANGUS STEWART, at Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
- Meet CASS MORIARTY, author of The Promise (which was short listed for two Queensland Literary Awards). Join Cass for a discussion about her latest book, Parting Words, at the Wynnum Library on
Thursday, 23 November 2017 from 10.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
- Discover your creative voice at the GIRLS WRITE UP
WORKSHOP, an inclusive all-day Festival open to teens aged 12–18 in Auditorium 2, Level 2, State Library of Queensland (SLQ), on Friday, 24 November 2017 from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- Join broadcaster RICHARD FIDLER and author KÁRI GÍSLASON as they discuss their experiences writing their book Saga Land and their incredible journey
across Iceland to the place where the Viking sagas unfolded a thousand years ago. You’ll find the saga seekers at the Brisbane Square Library on Friday, 24 November 2017 from 6.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- If you’re aged between 15–25 and you’re Interested in the art of writing and the how-to of getting published in Australia, come along to the YOUNG WRITERS
CONFERENCE for a day of Industry Seminars and Writing Workshops to be held in Auditorium 2, Level 2, State Library of Queensland (SLQ) on Saturday, 25 November 2017 from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- Years after her meteoric rise to fame through MasterChef and hosting her own television shows, POH
LING YEOW returns to her roots with the release of her latest cook book, Poh Bakes 100 Greats. Join Poh as she discusses baking, her first love, at Riverbend Books, Bulimba,
on Monday, 27 November 2017 at 6.30 p.m.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON AUTHORS P5
- You are encouraged to share your favourite DAPHNE DU MAURIER books and take part in some trivia with other like-minded readers, at a LITERARY EVENT at the Corinda Library on Tuesday, 28 November
- MIKE WILLESEE has been one of Australia’s best known television journalists for over 50 years. Join Mike
in conversation with journalist and author FRANCES WHITING as he discusses his long-awaited autobiography, Mike Willesee Memoirs, the extraordinary tale of an epic life in and behind the news. Report to the Ithaca Auditorium, Brisbane City Hall, on
Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 6.00 p.m.
- In her book Unbreakable, JELENA DOKIC tells a story of survival
– how she survived as a refugee (twice), how she survived on the tennis court to become world No. 4 – but, most importantly, how she survived her father, Damir Dokic, the tennis dad from hell. Hear Jelena discuss her meteoric rise to fame in the
Ithaca Auditorium, Brisbane City Hall, on Wednesday, 29 November 2017 from 6.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
tennis champion JELENA DOKIC for breakfast at Riverbend and hear Jelena and her co-author, JESS HALLORAN speak about Jelena’s new book Unbreakable. Lob into Riverbend Books, Bulimba on Thursday, 30 November 2017 at
7.00 a.m. sharp.
- Wear comfortable shoes and take a walk around the Brisbane Powerhouse with award-winning actors THERESE
COLLIE and TIM MULLOOLY, who will tell you the fascinating story of Brisbane as captured in the works of its great writers. It’s on at the Brisbane Powerhouse every Wednesday. Meet up at the Box Office to start your story adventure at 10.00 a.m.
'COMPETITIONS' – competitions and opportunities
for writers of poetry and prose as well as illustrators and performance writers creating works for stage, TV, film and multi-platform applications.
These pages were updated on Friday, 3 November 2017.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: COMPETITIONS
- THE 2017 HAZEL ROWLEY LITERARY FELLOWSHIP will award $15,000 to an Australian writer to support
the research and writing of a new biographical work. Applications close at 5.00 p.m. on Thursday, 16 November 2017.
you have an idea for A GREAT AUSTRALIAN PODCAST? You’re in luck! The ABC's new digital-first audio content production house, ABC AUDIO STUDIOS, wants you to help them create a potential hit show. PITCH YOUR IDEA by 11.59 p.m.
AEST on Friday, 17 November 2017.
- The OVERLAND JUDITH WRIGHT POETRY PRIZE
FOR NEW AND EMERGING POETS is seeking poetry by writers who have published no more than one collection under their own name. Submit your entry to Overland Magazine by Sunday, 19 November 2017.
- Enter the OVERLAND NEILMA SIDNEY SHORT STORY PRIZE for short fiction of up to 3,000 words, and submit to Overland Magazine by Sunday,
19 November 2017.
- click here for more details: COMPETITIONS P.2
- The CREATIVE SPARKS
PROGRAM offers funding to incorporated not-for-profit organisations, artists, arts workers and producers residing in Brisbane to support new creative projects and initiatives which strengthen Brisbane’s cultural and creative industries. Applications
will open on Monday, 6 November 2017, so start planning now.
- THE LORD MAYOR’S YOUNG AND EMERGING ARTS FELLOWSHIPS
SUPPORT YOUNG AND EMERGING Brisbane artists and arts workers aged between 17 and 30 years who wish to join national or international training and development programs. Applications for this program will open on Monday, 6 November 2017.
- Publishers! Authors! Illustrators! Entries for THE 2018 CBCA BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARDS are now open for original books published in 2017 in print format only.
For books published from 1 January to 31 December: submit by Thursday, 30 November 2017.
- Enter the Australian Book Review PETER PORTER
POETRY PRIZE worth a total of AU$8,500 on offer, plus publication in ABR. Entries close at midnight on Sunday, 3 December 2017.
- click here for more details: COMPETITIONS P.3
- The CREATIVE SPACES WEBSITE
is a FREE TOOL that makes it easy to find space for creative purposes. It includes a searchable database, case studies, resources and a regular newsletter that allows users to source and promote venues and spaces nationwide.
- The Australian Writers’ Guild sponsors events, festivals, awards and programs that recognise, promote, reward and celebrate the work of screen and
stage writers. See who’s eligible.
- The Brisbane City Council is seeking public event visionaries for its CREATIVE
EVENTS REGISTER. If you’ve got a bright idea, register now.
film/other media and platforms: click here for more details: THEATRE,
FILM & TV
- Do you have an idea for A GREAT AUSTRALIAN PODCAST? You’re in luck! The ABC's new digital-first audio content production house, ABC AUDIO STUDIOS, wants you to help them create a potential hit show. PITCH
YOUR IDEA by 11.59 p.m. AEST on Friday, 17 November 2017.
PLAYWRIGHTS between the ages of 18 and 40 are invited to apply for THE MAX AFFORD PLAYWRIGHTS’ AWARD to further their education in the field of drama and to improve their creative writing. The total value of the biennial award is $30,000. Get your
submissions in by 1.59 p.m. EST on Sunday, 19 November 2017.
- The Australian Writers’ Guild sponsors events, festivals, awards and programs that recognise, promote, reward and celebrate the work of screen and stage writers. See who’s eligible.
- The Brisbane City Council is seeking public event visionaries for its CREATIVE EVENTS REGISTER. If you’ve
got a bright idea, register now.
- Playwrights from regional or remote areas may apply for travel costs to attend events and opportunities through the newly established ERIN THOMAS PLAYWRIGHT FUND. There is no deadline for applications.
- Submit your complete screenplay with a treatment, or a comprehensive concept proposal (1–3 pages)
to WriteMe Australia, a national screenwriting initiative program which aims to develop exceptional material into production-ready screenwriting to be produced by the LaRoda Films network. There is no closing date for submissions. All ideas and material exchanged
between all parties constitute intellectual property that shall remain the exclusive property of the originator.
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
pages were partially updated on Friday, 3 November 2017. NOTE: Due to the large number of general events
coming up in October 2017, this section has been moved to a second Quicklists page at EVENT
MARRIAGE EQUALITY? Australia says YES! Wednesday, 15 November 2017. The LGBTIQ community, along with their families and friends, wait for the results – and it was worth the wait. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)