Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
NATIONAL BILBY DAY FESTIVAL – CHARLEVILLE. The Festival will kick off from Friday 8 September to Sunday 10 September 2017 in the outback town of Charleville in Queensland’s west. Alas, the Greater Bilby is not doing too well! These endearing, large and strikingly marked bandicoots were once found across the continent, but due to a range of threats from feral cats and foxes, habitat destruction and inappropriate fire regimes, these days they are listed as vulnerable to extinction. The people of Charleville look forward to seeing you at their festival to help support efforts to save this cute little Aussie critter, so head west and make it a weekend that the whole family can enjoy (see the entry in WHAT'S ON NOW? for details). (Photo by L.J. May)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome
to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
See below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THESE PAGES WERE UPDATED ON WEDNESDAY, 6 SEPTEMBER 2017
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Wednesday, 6 September 2017
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
- Billed as the ultimate urban
festival experience and Australia’s biggest frenzy of live music discovery, THE BIGSOUND FESTIVAL takes over Fortitude Valley’s famous live music precinct to showcase more than 130 acts, programmed across 18 stages. It’s ON NOW and runs until
Friday, 8 September 2017.
- Set out on a road trip to Charleville in western Queensland, or catch the Dawnie Express train from Brisbane,
for the NATIONAL BILBY DAY FESTIVAL and FUR BALL. It’s all happening in Partridge Street, Charleville from Friday, 8 September to Sunday, 10 September 2017.
- The BRISBANE FESTIVAL 2017 has an astonishing array of events to inform, entertain and delight you in venues across Brisbane, particularly at South Bank. It runs from Saturday, 9 September to Saturday, 30 September
- Everything that glitters will be at the BRIBIE ISLAND GEMFEST, with gemstones, jewellery and fossicking
for kids. It’s at Community Arts Centre, 191 Sunderland Drive, Banksia Beach, Bribie Island, north of Brisbane on Saturday, 9 September and Sunday, 10 September 2017 from 8.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- There will be lots of things to do for kids and people of all ages at the Buranda State School’s BURANDA FEST (entry and parking behind the Stones Corner Library).
It’s on Sunday, 10 September 2017 from 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- It will be easy being green at THE CARINDALE GREEN
HEART FAIR with activities (including the Brisbane Billycart Championships), workshops, market stalls and giveaways for all the family, at the Carindale Recreation Reserve on Sunday, 10 September 2017.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- If you want a really silly night out, head to the Gardens Theatre on the QUT campus to see GLORIOUS by Peter Quilter, the hilarious true story of Florence Foster Jenkins – ‘The first lady of the sliding scale’
It’s on at the Gardens Theatre, QUT Gardens Point, on Tuesday, 12 September at 7.30 p.m., Wednesday, 13 September 2017 at 11.00 a.m., and Wednesday, 13 September 2017 at 7.30 p.m.
- Join Australia’s Queen of Cabaret and musical comedy star, RHONDA BURCHMORE, as she performs songs from some of her favourite shows in the Main Auditorium at Brisbane City Hall on Tuesday, 12 September
2017 at 12.00 noon.
- The locals love it and visitors travel from all over the country to be part of it. The 10-day program of
the TOOWOOMBA CARNIVAL OF FLOWERS 2017 will feature a host of unique events and experiences, including the Food and Wine Festival. It’s on in the City of Toowoomba (about 146 km east of Brisbane) fromFriday, 15 September to Sunday, 24 September 2017.
- Australia’s biggest rescue day, the RACQ’s BIG ADOPT OUT, is where lots of animals in need of a good home are just waiting for you. Find your
new best friend at the Brisbane Showgrounds, 600 Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills on Saturday, 16 September 2017 from 9.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
the family into South Bank for a fantastic day full of free fun and entertainment for all ages in FAMILY FUN DAY, at Treasury Brisbane ARCADIA in the forecourt at South Bank onSaturday,
16 September 2017.
an exciting cultural experience, your family will enjoy the range of entertainment and stories celebrating everything Scandinavian in Brisbane at THE SCANDINAVIAN FESTIVAL in Perry Park, Bowen Hills, Brisbane on Saturday, 16 September 2017.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S
ON NOW? P.3
- The WILDFLOWER SHOW AND PLANT MARKET is where the wild things grow! See a superb display of wildflowers and check out
plants suited to every garden – available at low prices. The show’s at the Auditorium, Brisbane Botanic Gardens, Mt Coot-tha on Saturday, 16 September and Sunday, 17 September 2017.
- These school holidays get ready to ride the ‘Xpress Train’, a trackless train that will wind its way from one end of South Bank to the other, picking up and
dropping off passengers as it goes. The train will run from Saturday, 16 September to Monday, 1 October 2017 from 9.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (weather permitting).
- THE OUTBACK FESTIVAL IN WINTON is always an absolute hoot with a huge program of entertainment and quirkiness running day and night. If you set off now, you can make it in time, and why wouldn’t you? It’s
happening in Winton (north of Longreach) from Tuesday, 19 September to Saturday, 23 September 2017.
- Be astonished by
more than 90 MUSICAL THEATRE STUDENTS from the Queensland Conservatorium of Music as they perform selections from musical theatre’s treasured repertoire in the Main Auditorium at Brisbane City Hall on Tuesday, 19 September 2017 at 12.00
- On PECHAKUCHA NIGHT, designers will meet in a relaxed forum format to present and showcase their work, skills and ideas at the
Brisbane Powerhouse, New Farm on Wednesday, 20 September 2017 from 8.20 p.m.
- During the SPRINGTIME FESTIVAL on Tamborine Mountain in
the Gold Coast Hinterland, seven delightful and diverse private gardens will be open to the public over the three-day weekend from Friday, 22 September to Sunday, 24 September 2017.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- Head to the western outback
town of Quilpie for the ‘PRIDE OF THE WEST FESTIVAL’ and experience some great Queensland hospitality (while you’re there check out the stunning local opals). This is a unique event in the racing world so racing enthusiasts should mark this
event on their calendar. The festival is on Friday, 22 September and Saturday, 23 September 2017.
- Turn up to the Brisbane
Pride Festival Rally and March in Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley on Saturday, 23 September at 10.00 a.m., and then spend your Saturday in beautiful New Farm Park at the BRISBANE PRIDE FAIR DAY to enjoy live music, performances, dance food trucks, stalls and more from 10.30 a.m.
- It’s time to dress up, meet your heroes, and unleash your inner geek at OZ COMIC-CON Brisbane. It’s happening at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, South Brisbane on Saturday, 23
September and Sunday, 24 September 2017.
- Your toes will be tapping when Jazz Queensland brings the PAULA GIRVAN
SWINGTET with jazz vocalist TEE WEST to City Hall to entertain you with some famous 50s and 60s jazz tunes, in the Main Auditorium at Brisbane City Hall on Tuesday, 26 September 2017 from 12.00 noon to 1.00 p.m.
- If you like a ukulele and know that it’s not the simple instrument that people think it is, get ready for SPRUKE – BRISBANE’S UKULELE FESTIVAL with
workshops, concerts, and some great guests, including festival favourite CANADIAN UKULELE BLUESMAN MANITOBA HAL, at the South Bank TAFE campus, Brisbane from Friday, 29 September to Sunday, 1 October 2017.
- Head for the best vantage point you can find at SOUTH BANK and around Brisbane (see list in entry) for the BRISBANE FESTIVAL FINALE – SUNSUPER RIVERFIRE, on Saturday, 30
September 2017. There will be entertainment at South Bank from 4.00 p.m. and fireworks from 7.00 p.m. (get there early and enjoy!)
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- Take advantage of a FREE ONLINE COURSE FROM THE SLQ: LOOKING @ 2.0 designed to help you navigate the world of online technologies. Available online now.
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and is ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and
adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours
are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
The 68TH CARNIVAL OF FLOWERS will run in the beautiful garden city of TOOWOOMBA (about 146 km east of Brisbane) from Friday, 15 September to Sunday, 24 September 2017. The locals love it and visitors travel from all over the country to be part of it. The 10-day program features a host of unique events, including internationally acclaimed musical acts, award-winning parks, the best food and wine in southern Queensland, a multitude of cultural adventures and, of course, tours of some of Toowoomba’s stunning gardens. It will do your heart good to see the gardens and your waistline no good at all when you hoe into the delicious food and wine on offer. Train buffs can catch THE CARNIVAL OF FLOWERS STEAM TRAIN TOUR from Roma Street, Brisbane to Toowoomba, trip around the gardens by coach, and rejoin the train at Helidon Station for the journey home. You can book in for an optional lunch at Inbound restaurant for an additional cost (see the entry in WHAT'S ON NOW? for details). (Photo by L.J. May)