Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
On Australia Day in Brisbane these colourful AUSSIE CHICKS get into the spirit… and the beer as well. Yes, 26 January 2019 is Australia Day. For more details about what’s happening on Australia Day in Brisbane, see the WHAT’S ON NOW? pages on the Watchwords menu at left. (Photo by L.J. May).
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
See below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THIS WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON
FRIDAY, 18 JANUARY 2019!
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you
and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Friday, 18 January 2019.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
- The huge GINGER FLOWER AND FOOD FESTIVAL will delight foodies and garden lovers alike with three spectacular days of munchies, flowers and entertainment. Enjoy cooking
demos by some great chefs, talks by gardening experts, and goggle at the thousands of plants available for purchase. There will be lots of live entertainment, animal experiences and market stalls. Grab your family and friends and head to the festival at The
Ginger Factory, Yandina on the Sunshine Coast from Friday, 18 January to Sunday, 20 January 2019.
- Everything old is new again when A SALON OF LARRIKINS brings music, theatre and
dance together in a kaleidoscope of treasures and a confection of performance gems performed by the ‘super talents’ of Queensland. Dance into the Cremorne Theatre, Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC), South Bank on Friday, 18 January and Saturday, 19 January 2019.
- Join THE
BALLET THEATRE OF QUEENSLAND, Queensland’s premier youth ballet company, to celebrate another year of magical ballet as they bring to life, THE SLEEPING BEAUTY, a classic tale of love and enchantment, based on the Charles Perrault fairy tale and
set to Tchaikovskhy’s famous music. Dance into the Playhouse Theatre at QPAC from NOW until Saturday, 19 January 2019.
- Experience some edge of your seat magic when THE ILLUSIONISTS – DIRECT FROM BROADWAY bring you the jaw dropping talents of seven of the most incredible
illusionists on earth. See them at the Concert Hall, Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC), South Bank. They’re appearing (and disappearing) NOW and will turn up where least expected until Saturday, 19 January 2019.
- JERSEY BOYS – winner of 64 major awards worldwide and the hottest musical in town – is now playing at the Lyric Theatre, QPAC! The Sydney Morning Herald thought that it was ‘The best musical ever,’ and Brisbane audiences seem to agree. It’s ON NOW at the Lyric Theatre, QPAC, South
- See Australia’s future water polo stars in action at the
AUSTRALIAN YOUTH WATER POLO CHAMPIONSHIPS in Brisbane. The biggest water polo event in Australia takes place in various venues across Brisbane this month with more than 3,000 participants from 190 teams across six age groups. Check out the detailed listing
to find a link to the program details. It’s ON NOW and runs until Thursday, 24 January 2019 at various dates and times across the city.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- It’s on again and it’s huge as usual. Whether you’re a book worm, a dedicated reader, a student, a book collector or someone searching for those long lost
books, LIFELINE BOOKFEST BRISBANE is for you. There are also Bookfests happening at other venues around Queensland – check the website, but in Brisbane it’s on at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre, Merivale St, South Brisbane, and
runs from Saturday, 19 January 2019 to Monday, 28 January 2019.
- Andy and Terry’s Treehouse is now a 91-STOREY TREEHOUSE.
It’s more fantastically dangerous than ever, with a deserted desert island, a whirlpool and a giant spider! This play by Richard Tulloch, adapted from the book by Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton, is a fantastical trip through this wild, weird and wonderful
world for children 6+ and their adults. Just beware of the Fortune Teller at the Playhouse Theatre, QPAC, from Wednesday, 23 January 2019 to Sunday, 27 January 2019 (1 hour no interval).
- CELEBRATE AUSTRALIA DAY listening to
the Brisbane Brass Band, featuring special guests, the National Youth Band of New Zealand, while relaxing on the lawn at NEW FARM PARK, New Farm on Saturday, 26 January
2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
- At the
VICTORIA PARK BISTRO you and the family can CELEBRATE AUSTRALIA DAY all weekend long at Victoria Park! To get everyone in the Aussie spirit over the weekend there will be special Aussie inspired menu items, Aussie lawn games including sack races and tug-of-war,
live music, a jumping castle, kids face painting and a GIANT games area. Book in for Saturday, 26 January 2019 from 11.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- Pack a picnic and enjoy FREE LIVE MUSIC in the spectacular setting of River Quay at AUSTRALIA DAY ON THE GREEN, on Saturday, 26 January 2019 from 1.00 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Keep an eye out for the special green and gold fireworks in this year’s display at the AUSTRALIA DAY FIREWORKS AT SOUTH BANK, as well as the six pyrotechnic jet ski performers who will be launching
fireworks while they perform in front of the Promenade, on Saturday, 26 January 2019 from
7.30 p.m. to 7.45 p.m.
- Think bananas – think Queensland! And particularly up Biloela way. BANANA SHIRE. AUSTRALIA DAY CELEBRATIONS will take place in Thangool and surrounds. Want to see how they do it in rural
areas? Enjoy a fun-filled family day at the Thangool Race Club on Saturday, 26 January 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON
- Remember that moment when Susan Boyle said on Britain’s Got Talent
that her greatest ambition was to sing like Elaine Page - and then went on to do just that? As a musical theatre performer ELAINE PAGE has starred in more smash hit West End and Broadway musicals than anyone else of her generation. Her Australian tour follows
on from the huge success of Elaine’s last series of concerts in the UK in 2016 and 2017, which received standing ovations from audiences and critics alike. Lend her your ears in the Concert Hall, QPAC, South Bank on Tuesday, 29 January
- By popular demand, irrepressible comedian, author and artist ANH DO returns with his smash hit stage show ANH DO –
THE HAPPIEST REFUGEE LIVE!, which combines stand-up comedy with real life stories, photos, and filmed pieces to retell his amazing story. Tickets are selling fast! Skate into the Concert Hall, QPAC, South Bank, on Friday, 1 February, Saturday, 2 February, or Sunday, 3 February (best bet) 2019.
WORLD WETLANDS DAY with a FREE informative guided walk around the gentle 2 km Billai Dhagun Circuit and learn the international significance of the shorebirds to our world-renowned Boondall Wetlands. Meet up at the Boondall Wetlands Environment Centre on Saturday, 2 February 2019 from 9.00 a.m. to 11.00 a.m.
- THE NOOSA SUMMER SWIM FESTIVAL is a weekend festival offering a
range of distances from junior events to the 5.0KM NOOSA GRAND PRIX, as well as events and activities for the whole family from Sunrise Yoga and an Outdoor Cinema, to short course ocean swims designed for juniors and beginners. Join thousands of Queenslanders
and special guests for a huge weekend of sun, surf and swims at Noosa Main Beach on the Sunshine Coast, on Saturday, 2 February and Sunday, 3 February 2019.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- Go bananas for the world of primates at Queensland Museum’s latest exhibition, MONKEYS! A PRIMATE STORY, a National Museums Scotland exhibition featuring 60 spectacular taxidermy specimens
and articulated skeletons. It’s ON NOW at the Queensland Museum, South Bank, and runs until 28 January 2019.
your kids (and yourselves) away from the small screens and do something to keep you entertained for hours. Take them to the QUEENSLAND AIR MUSEUM at Caloundra to see more than 80 historically significant aircraft and aviation related displays, as well as the
best aircraft model shop on the Sunshine Coast. Fly into the Queensland Air Museum, 7 Pathfinder Drive, Caloundra: it’s OPEN DAILY (except Christmas Day) from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- DRESS CODE merges art, design, craft and fashion to investigate the diversity of cultural approaches to making, wearing and buying across
the Asia Pacific, by revealing how contemporary designers and artists are responding to topics of slow fashion, ethical collaboration and sustainability. This FREE exhibition is ON NOW at the Museum of Brisbane, Level 3, Brisbane City Hall,
from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. daily, 7.00 p.m. Fridays, and will run until 28 January 2019.
- THE DESIGNERS’
GUIDE: EASTON PEARSON ARCHIVE features 200 garments personally selected by designers PAMELA EASTON and LYDIA PEARSON to reveal the artistry, techniques and demi-couture practices that placed the label at the forefront of Australian fashion for 27 years.
It’s ON NOW at the Museum of Brisbane, Level 3, Brisbane City Hall, and will run until 29 April 2019.
- THE 9TH
ASIA PACIFIC TRIENNIAL OF CONTEMPORARY ART (ATP9) features more than 80 artists and groups from over 30 countries! There are a number of never-before-seen installations, paintings, sculptures, photographs and video from emerging and senior artists, together
with leading works from indigenous communities and artists. The opening festivities for this FREE EXHIBITION will take place at the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA), Stanley Place, Cultural Precinct, South Bank. It’s ON NOW and runs until 28 April 2019.
- ALICE’S WONDERLAND: A MOST CURIOUS ADVENTURE is a travelling family-friendly exhibition presented by Museums Victoria, which
brings basic science concepts to life for 3–8-year-olds and their families. It’s ON NOW at the Cobb+Co Museum, 27 Lindsay Street, TOOWOOMBA, and runs until Monday, 28 January 2019.
PAGE 5 - click here for more detals: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY, launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and is ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong
team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
ANH DO is one of the most popular people in Australia. Not only is he a fine stand-up comedian and author, but a very talented artist who scored a TV show of his own on the ABC. Ahn’s bestselling book The Happiest Refugee made readers laugh and cry, and now, by popular demand, Anh returns with his smash hit stage show ANH DO – THE HAPPIEST REFUGEE LIVE!, which combines stand-up comedy with real life stories, photos, and filmed pieces to retell his amazing story. Catch him if you can at the Concert Hall, QPAC, South Bank on Friday, 1 February, Saturday, 2 February, or Sunday, 3 February 2019 – TIP: the show runs for 1 hour 30 mins with NO INTERVAL – so you’d be wise to take care of business before you take your seat. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)