Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
The 69TH CARNIVAL OF FLOWERS will bloom in the beautiful garden city of TOOWOOMBA (about 146km east of Brisbane) from Friday, 21 September to Sunday, 30 September 2018. Experience food, wine and gorgeous gardens! The locals love it and visitors travel from all over the country to be part of it. The 10-day program features internationally acclaimed musical acts, award-winning parks, the best food and wine in southern Queensland, a multitude of cultural adventures and, of course, tours of some of Toowoomba’s stunning gardens. Visit the carnival website at https://www.tcof.com.au to find out what’s on. (Photo courtesy of TCOF)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THIS WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON MONDAY, 10 SEPTEMBER 2018!
ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on
Wednesday, 10 September 2018.
PAGE 1 - click
here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
- The BRISBANE FESTIVAL 2018 has an astonishing array of events to inform, entertain and delight you in 17 venues across Brisbane, including South Bank. The Festival
runs for three weeks from Saturday, 8 September to Saturday, 29 September 2018 inclusive. Be there Brisbane!
- The FREE arts-meets-technology
water fountain, light and laser spectacular RIVER OF LIGHT – THE STORY OF MAIWAR, showing at South Bank during the Brisbane Festival, will illuminate the night in a spellbinding celebration of our Brisbane River from Saturday, 8 September to Saturday, 29 September 2018, daily at 6.30 p.m., 8.00 p.m., and 9.30 p.m.
- Lose yourself in the HOUSE OF MIRRORS, a grotesquely fascinating walk through a bizarre maze of mirrors installation. Find it during the Brisbane Festival at Treasury Brisbane ARCADIA, South Bank Parklands, Corner Ernest
Street, Stanley Street and Grey Street, South Brisbane, from Saturday, 8 September to Saturday, 29 September 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.
- The SCARECROWS are coming to Tamborine Mountain on the Scenic Rim of South East Queensland, an easy one-hour’s drive from Brisbane City and the Gold Coast. Hundreds of scarecrows will line the 17km trail from Friday, 14 September to Sunday, 16 September – get some great selfies. It all ends up at the Tamborine Mountain Showgrounds, where the TAMBORINE SCARECROW FESTIVAL kicks off on Saturday, 15
- If you’re about to renovate or build, you’ll find hundreds of new ideas and get free expert advice from more
than 280 leading Queensland suppliers at the BRISBANE HIA HOME SHOW. It’s all under one roof at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre (BCEC), Cnr Merivale Street and Glenelg Streets, South Brisbane, from Friday, 14 September
to Sunday, 16 September 2018.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- Australia’s biggest rescue day, the RACQ’s BIG ADOPT OUT, is where lots of animals in need of a good home are just waiting for you. Find your new best friend at The Marquee, Brisbane Showgrounds, 600
Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills, on Saturday, 15 September 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.
- THE CHILDREN’S MOON FESTIVAL is
a FREE showcase of Vietnamese culture for all ages, and is celebrated when the moon is at its roundest and brightest, to symbolise happiness and harmony for all. See a children’s lantern procession, colourful shows, songs and dances, at the C.J. Greenfield
Sports Complex, 149 Kimberley Street, Richlands on Saturday, 15 September 2018 from
4.30 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.
- THE BRISBANE THAI FESTIVAL 2018 is coming to the Celebration Precinct at Roma Street Parkland and will
play host to your favourite Thai foods, dance, music and boxing. The Festival is FREE and will delight people of all ages, at the Roma Street Parkland on Sunday, 16 September 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- There will be lots of things to do for kids and people of all ages at the Buranda State School’s centenary celebration BURANDAFEST (entry and parking behind the Stones Corner
Library). It’s on Sunday, 16 September 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- During the Brisbane Festival, enjoy two excellent LORD MAYOR’S CITY HALL CONCERTS: Hear Queensland’s very own Chamber Orchestra CAMERATA playing ‘UP CLOSE’, and cabaret performer MICHAEL GRIFFITHS with
‘COLE’, a concert exploring the timeless songs of Cole Porter. Dates are Tuesday, 18 September, and Tuesday, 25 September 2018 respectively, from 12.00 noon to 1.00 p.m.
- The Brisbane
City Council is proud to support INTERNATIONAL PARK(ing) DAY, which gives artists, designers and community groups the opportunity to transform on-street parking spaces across Brisbane into creative, people-friendly spaces. Check out the detailed listing for
maps to help you find out where they are, and pay them a visit on Friday, 21 September 2018.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- The locals love it and visitors travel from all over the country to be part of it. The 10-day program of the TOOWOOMBA CARNIVAL OF FLOWERS 2018 will feature a host of unique events and experiences, including the Food and Wine
Festival. It’s on in the City of Toowoomba (about 146 km east of Brisbane) from Friday, 21 September to Sunday, 30 September 2018.
- Soak up the atmosphere at THE CHINESE MOON FESTIVAL, an iconic Chinese lunar calendar event held when the moon is at its roundest and brightest. This FREE exciting cultural experience for people of all ages will be happening in the Chinatown
Mall, Duncan Street, Fortitude Valley, on Saturday, 22 September 2018 from 4.00 p.m.
to 9.00 p.m.
- Turn up to the Brisbane Pride Festival Rally and March on Saturday, 22 September in Brunswick Street at 10.00 a.m., and then spend your Saturday in beautiful New Farm Park at the BRISBANE PRIDE FAIR DAY to enjoy live music, performances, food trucks, stalls and more, on Saturday, 22 September from 11.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- Dust off your dirndls and bust out your lederhosen, because the biggest OKTOBERFEST STREET PARTY is coming to Brisbane. Munich Brauhaus will kick off the 2018 Oktoberfest season in Australia
with an epic two-day street party at Stanley Plaza in the heart of South Bank Parklands on Saturday, 22 September and Sunday, 23 September 2018.
- It’s time to dress up, meet your heroes, and unleash your inner geek at OZ COMIC-CON Brisbane. 2018 will feature exciting multi-genre content
from across the spectrum. Dress up in your best cosplay outfit and head for the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre (BCEC), Cnr Merivale Street and Glenelg Streets, South Brisbane, over the weekend of Saturday, 22 September and Sunday,
23 September 2018.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- As part of the BRISBANE FESTIVAL, take your kids aged 5–12 to meet the cast of Channel Nine’s new children’s science show BRAINBUZZ. There will be a fun-filled live performance, experiments,
explosions and plenty of excitement at the Brisbane City Hall, Brisbane City, on Wednesday, 26 September 2018 from 11.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon.
- Head for the best vantage point you can find at SOUTH BANK and around BRISBANE (see list in entry) for the BRISBANE FESTIVAL FINALE – SUNSUPER RIVERFIRE, on Saturday, 29 September
2018. There will be entertainment at South Bank from 4.00 p.m. and fireworks from 7.00 p.m. (get there early and enjoy!)
lovers get excited! THE ‘CHEESE TO PLEASE’ FESTIVAL is back for another year of delicious tastings, workshops and live music. Take your taste buds down to Newstead House, Newstead, on Sunday, 30 September 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- BRISTOPIA blends interactive technology with whimsical ILLUSTRATIONS BY MEGAN MCKEAN. Immerse yourself in the animated Brisbane cityscape to create your own BRISTOPIA and email it to friends and family. Head for the East Gallery, Museum of Brisbane, Level 3, City Hall, King George Square, Brisbane CBD. Mucking around with the installation is FREE – it’s ON NOW and runs until
14 October 2018.
- ALICE’S WONDERLAND: A MOST CURIOUS ADVENTURE is a travelling family-friendly exhibition
presented by Museums Victoria, which brings basic science concepts to life for 3–8-year-olds and their families. It’s ON NOW at the Cobb+Co Museum, 27 Lindsay Street, TOOWOOMBA, and runs until Monday, 28 January 2019.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY, launched on Saturday, 13 December
2014 at the planetarium and is ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the
citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland,
Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
Queensland’s ultimate fireworks event, SUNSUPER RIVERFIRE, will wrap up the Brisbane Festival with a dazzling display set to music on Saturday, 29 September 2018. The soundtrack this year will celebrate Sci-Fi and superheroes. There will be entertainment from 4.00 p.m. at South Bank and fireworks from 7.00 p.m. Spectators at South Bank will be wowed by aerobatics from the AUSTRALIAN DEFENCE FORCE with RAAF Super Hornet and Army helicopter displays late in the afternoon and evening. Join the crowd at Riverstage, where there will be a massive day-long concert, headlined by VIOLENT SOHO. Crowds who manage to get to one of the vantage points can tune into TRIPLE M’S LIVE BROADCAST of Channel Nine’s television coverage from 6.30 p.m. and hear it all in stereo. Can’t get there in person? Grab something nice to eat and drink, and tune in to CHANNEL NINE’S EXCLUSIVE LIVE COVERAGE in the comfort of your own home. And don’t forget to look after your pets, many of which will be terrified by all the noise. Enjoy! (Photo by L.J. May)