Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
Mystic crystal revelations! Stick a candle in your ear, float out your crystal balls, and get thee to the MIND, BODY, SPIRIT FESTIVAL, Australia’s largest, most popular health, wellbeing and natural therapies event. It’s FREE to visit and it’s on Friday, 23 February to Sunday, 25 February 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. daily at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, South Brisbane. There’s something for everyone with more than 200 exhibitors. See the WHAT'S ON NOW? pages for more, and register online for a FREE ticket at https://www.mbsfestival.com.au. (Photo by L.J. May)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
See below for a brief
overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THIS WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON SATURDAY, 10 FEBRUARY 2018.
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low
cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Wednesday, 10 February 2018.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
BRISASIA FESTIVAL showcases traditional and contemporary Asian arts and cultural events. It’s now in its sixth year and will stage more than 80 events across the city over three weeks from Saturday, 10 February to Sunday, 4 March 2018.
- Everyone is welcome to attend a FREE OPEN DAY with traditional lion dancers, KUNG FU and TAI CHI DEMONSTRATIONS and FREE-TO-JOIN-IN CLASSES,
plus the launch of Philosophy of a Fighter: A Life of Learning by Grandmaster HENRY SUE. Kung Fu Fighting is at the Chinese Kung Fu Academy, 963 Stanley Street East, East Brisbane, on Sunday, 11 February 2018 from 9.00 a.m.
- Dread public speaking? Help is at hand! The first BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL WOMENS BREAKFAST for 2018 features award-winning author, international presenter
and performance coach RUTH BONETTI who will give you some handy techniques to stop you from freaking out. Breakfast is on in the Moreton Room, Ground Floor, United Services Club Queensland, 183 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, on Tuesday, 13 February
2018 at 7.00 a.m. for 7.15 a.m. Breakfast ends at 9.00 a.m.
- Discover LI CUNXIN’s incredible journey from childhood poverty
in China to becoming a world-famous dancer. The Museum of Brisbane’s exclusive exhibition MAO'S LAST DANCER THE EXHIBITION: A PORTRAIT OF LI CUNXIN, is an intimate portrait of a contemporary Australian icon and Brisbane identity who continues
to have an extraordinary impact on the lives of many people. The exhibition and associated events are ON NOW and run until Sunday, 29 April 2018.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- Not sure what to do on ST VALENTINES DAY this year to get in your
significant other’s good books? Do we have some suggestions for you! – everything from abseiling at sunset at the Kangaroo Point Cliffs to catching some romantic zees through special hotel and accommodation packages.
Yes, it IS on Wednesday, 14 February 2018.
- VALENTINE’S DAY is coming and you’re still not loved up? INDIGENOUS
VOICES – LOVE AT THE LIBRARY offers you a fun night of speed dating to help you find your black match. It’s happening at Kuril dhagun, Level 1, State Library of Queensland (SLQ), on Wednesday,
14 February 2018 from 6.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- ANTHONY BURGESS’ iconic work, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, first published as a book
in 1962, explores an ultra-violent, disenfranchised youth culture, their clash with authority, and their complete lack of compassion. Both the stage and film versions followed, and shocked audiences. Now the Arts Theatre in Brisbane takes on the play. What
are the Droogs up to? Performances are ON NOW and run on selected dates until Saturday, 17 February 2018.
- Grab the edge of your
seat for a white knuckle ride throughout the entire performance of BACKBONE with Adelaide’s acrobatic sensations GRAVITY & OTHER MYTHS (described by Limelight magazine as ‘Magnetic… a perfect combination of fluidity,
mettle and danger). Join the bendy ones at the Powerhouse Theatre, Brisbane Powerhouse, New Farm on Friday, 16 February at 7.30 p.m. and Saturday, 17 February at 2.30 p.m. and 7.30 p.m.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- HEADING TO SYDNEY for the SYDNEY GAS AND LESBIAN MARDI GRAS? It’s happening absolutely everywhere across Sydney with over 100 diverse events between Friday, 16 February
2018 and Sunday, 4 March 2018. TREVOR ASHLEY’S MARDI GALA kicks off with a night of laughs, music and fabulosity at the Sydney Opera House, Concert Hall on Saturday, 17 February 2018. FAMILY FUN DAY will be held at Luna Park on Saturday,
24 February 2018 and the SYDNEY GAY AND LESBIAN MARDI GRAS PARADE will bring Sydney to a standstill on Saturday, 3 March 2018. Who wouldn’t want to be there?
- BEATLE FAN ALERT! Don’t miss this once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a musical experience like no other – the very best of The Beatles and beyond with the world’s premier Beatles band, THE BEATLE BOYS
and the Australian Symphony Orchestra (ASO). Twist and Shout your way to THE BEATLES ORCHESTRATED III – THE ENCORE TOUR! at the Concert Hall, Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) on Friday, 16 February 2018.
- THE BRISBANE POWERHOUSE has partnered with several creative organisations to bring you, ABSOLUTELY FREE, AN EXCITING LINEUP OF EVENTS that will take you out
of your comfort zone and have your little grey cells buzzing. Check out the events in WHAT’S ON NOW? and be glad. It’s all happening at the Brisbane Powerhouse from Sunday, 18 February 2018 until Thursday, 22 February 2018.
- Experience Australia’s fastest growing comedy festival and get ready to grin to get a workout for your face! The BRISBANE COMEDY FESTIVAL is
almost here and all your favourites will be there at three big venues: the BRISBANE POWERHOUSE at New Farm, BRISBANE CITY HALL in the city and SUNPAC at 470 McCullough Street, Sunnybank. Hilariousness will prevail between Friday, 23 February 2018 to Saturday,
25 March 2018.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- Empower your mind, tone up your body, and refresh your spirit at the MIND, BODY, SPIRIT FESTIVAL at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition
Centre on Friday, 23 February, Saturday, 24 February and Sunday, 25 February 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. daily.
- Featured as part of QPAC’s popular Green Jam program, and A FREE LIVE MUSIC EVENT of the BrisAsia Festival 2018, BRISASIA SOUND showcases young and emerging Asian-Australian artists shaping the local music scene of today. Share
the relaxed experience and catch up with friends on the Melbourne Street Green in front of the Lyric Theatre, QPAC, South Brisbane, onFriday, 23 February 2018 at 5.30 p.m.
- Looking for a really good farmers’ market? Featuring over 120 stalls bursting with fresh farm produce, flowers, artisan products, breads, pastries,
meat, fish, poultry and plants, the JAN POWERS FARMERS MARKETS at the POWERHOUSE PLAZA next to the Brisbane Powerhouse in New Farm has everything you need. The markets are FREE to attend and run for six hours every Saturday from 6.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon.
- Explore Queensland’s unique history of innovation and invention from the late 1800s to the present day in MAGNIFICENT MAKERS, an exhibition at the State Library of Queensland. Through photographs, drawings, blueprints
and objects you can follow the lives and works of a group of remarkable, pioneering Queenslanders. Head for the Philip Bacon Heritage Gallery, Level 4, State Library of Queensland (SLQ). The exhibition is ON NOW and will run daily until Sunday, 3 June 2018.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S
ON NOW? P.5
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and is
ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors
to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry
Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
The BRISBANE COMEDY FESTIVAL rolls into town from Friday, 23 February to Sunday, 25 March 2018. Get ready to laugh and iron out the wrinkles – it’s a workout for your face! It’s an astonishing lineup and all your favourites will be there, including CAL WILSON, CELIA PACQUOLA, DAVE HUGHES, FIONA O’LOUGHLIN (if she survives ‘I’m a Celebrity...’ – what was she thinking?), JIMEOIN, JOEL CREASEY (pictured above), URZILA CARLSON, LAWRENCE MOONEY, PETER HELLIAR, STEPHEN K. AMOS, TOM GLEESON (laugh HARD), WIL ANDERSON and many more. Eat, Drink and be Funny at the Brisbane Powerhouse in New Farm, Brisbane City Hall in the City, and SunPAC at 470 McCullough Street, Sunnybank. Read more about it on the WHAT'S ON NOW? pages, and for more information and to book your tickets, go to http://www.brisbanecomedyfestival.com. (Photo and artwork by L.J. May S/S)