Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
Sail away! Sail away! Hundreds of boats – four days of fun – one awesome location! If you have lots of money, or a vivid imagination and big dreams, head for the 2019 SANCTUARY COVE INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW at the world-famous Sanctuary Cove Resort on Queensland’s Gold Coast. Some 40,000 visitors each year turn up to immerse themselves in upwards of 300 marine and luxury marquees on display. The tickets are affordable: the yachts are not! Children under 18 get in FREE when accompanied by an adult. Join the tsunami of tourists on Thursday, 23 May to Sunday, 26 May 2019 from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. daily. (Photo by L.J. May)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THESE PAGES WERE UPDATED ON MONDAY, 13 MAY 2019!
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Monday, 13 May 2019.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S
- The City Botanic Gardens will once again be transformed into an outdoor gallery during BOTANICA –
CONTEMPORARY ART OUTSIDE. Audiences will discover a stunning series of installations set among the beauty of Queensland’s premier heritage garden with a rich public program of tours, talks and workshops. Find your interplay of art and nature in the City
Botanic Gardens, 147 Alice Street, Brisbane City. It's ON NOW and runs until Sunday, 19 May 2019.
- 150+ artists
and designers! 25 venues! 17 days! Equals 1 hot city! Art, design, and the City of Brisbane will collide over a 17-day festival of dynamic exhibitions, performances, talks, art tours, workshops and open studios during BRISBANE ART DESIGN (BAD) 2019. Find your
inner creative in Brisbane City and surrounding suburbs. It's ON NOW and runs until Sunday, 26 May 2019.
- The 4MBS FESTIVAL OF CLASSICS celebrates 40 years of broadcasting with a stunning array of events
in the largest festival of its type in Australia. These will be held in Brisbane at various times and locations, and there will also be events on the Sunshine Coast, the Gold Coast, and on radio 4MBS Classic FM 103.7. Pick up a program at your local BCC Library,
or visit the website for more about the great music making being celebrated. It's ON NOW and runs until Sunday, 23 June 2019.
- The BRISBANE STREET ART FESTIVAL (BSAF) is back! The city-wide outdoor art festival’s two week program will include live mural art, music, theatre, numerous exhibitions, creative master classes and workshops
from some of our leading creatives at various locations around Brisbane. It’s ON NOW and runs until Sunday, 19 May 2019.
- During the ANYWHERE THEATRE FESTIVAL, theatre, comedy, circus, dance, music, magic, poetry and a range of experiences will happen in nooks and crannies – backyards,
businesses, cafés, book stores, boxing rings, swimming pools – over 500 performances will be held in 70 venues in Brisbane alone – anywhere but a theatre. And there are more events on the Sunshine and Noosa
for you to enjoy. Go to the detailed listing to download a program and get ready to be surprised. It's ON NOW and runs until Sunday, 26 May 2019.
- The BLUES ON BROADBEACH MUSIC FESTIVAL is one of Australia’s largest non-ticketed music festivals. There will be multiple
performance areas, amazing food at local bars and restaurants, and activities for all ages throughout the festival precinct. Get down to Broadbeach on the Gold Coast from Thursday,
16 May to Sunday, 19 May 2019.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- HOME – A SUBURBAN OBSESSION is
a State Library of Queensland exhibition about Queensland homes and the people who live, love, and obsess over them. The exhibition is at the State Library of Queensland (SLQ), Cultural Precinct, Stanley Place, South Bank, Brisbane. It’s ON
NOW and runs until Sunday, 14 July 2019. Open daily from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- Roll up! Roll up! There’s
so much happening over the three days of the IPSWICH SHOW you’ll be flat out packing it all in – but give it a red hot go: the Ipswich Show is always great value. It’s on at the Ipswich Showgrounds on Friday, 17 May, Saturday, 18 May and
Sunday, 19 May 2019.
- IT’S BACK –
AUSTRALIA’S BIGGEST GREEK FESTIVAL – PANIYIRI! See Zorba dancing, plate smashing, honey puff eating competitions, cooking demonstrations, and taste lots and lots of delicious Greek delicacies at Musgrave Park and The Greek Club, Edmondstone Street,
South Brisbane, on Saturday, 18 May from 12 noon to 10.00 p.m. and Sunday, 19 May 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.
your pooch a real treat by taking them along to the RSPCA MILLION PAWS WALK, the walk to fight animal cruelty and the largest event on Brisbane’s canine calendar.
See the detailed entry for walks across Queensland and interstate. In Brisbane, gather at the South Bank Cultural Forecourt, South Bank, on Sunday, 19 May 2019 from 8.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
- In this free concert, ESTAMPA will evoke visions of Parisian laneways, South American sensuality and European folk music. Cha Cha into the Brisbane City Hall on Tuesday, 21 May 2019 from 12.00 noon to 1.00 p.m.
- THE 2019 GENERATIONYOU INSPIRE PROGRAM offers young people aged 17–25 opportunities to develop their employment skills and make an immediate impact for our city’s local businesses. Gain valuable advice
from industry professionals about GROWING AND NURTURING YOUR NETWORK, on Level 2, The Capital, 155 Queen Street, Brisbane (it’s FREE but you have to book) on Thursday,
23 May 2019 from 5.30 p.m. to 7.45 p.m.
3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- THE SANCTUARY COVE INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW, the most highly anticipated
marine event in the southern hemisphere, will be held on the Gold Coast in May. Live the dream over four days at The Marine Village, Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast, from Thursday, 23 May to Sunday, 26 May 2019 from 9.00 a.m. to
5.00 p.m. daily.
- Celebrate the best of local design as BNE DESIGN showcases an impressive array of bespoke homewares, fashion, ceramics,
stationery, accessories and more, in Reddacliff Place, 266 George Street, Brisbane CBD (at the Victoria Bridge end of Queen Street, next to the Brisbane Square Library) on Friday, 24 May 2019 from 4.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- The SRI LANKAN VESAK FESTIVAL, to honour the life and enlightenment of Lord Buddha, will be held at the Acacia Ridge State School Hall, Nyngam Street, Acacia
Ridge, on Saturday, 25 May 2019 from 6.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.
- During BYB19, some
5,000 people will descend on McPherson Park in Bracken Ridge for the annual BACKYARD BONANZA. This year there will be NEW and FREE FUN ACTIVITIES for everyone, including some delicious munchies.
Head for McPherson Park, 146 Denham Street, Bracken Ridge on Sunday, 26 May 2019 from 9.00 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.
- Come along to the BOTANIC GARDENS OPEN DAY and enjoy a variety of activities, including ‘ask a gardener’ drop in sessions, growing your own food at home, as well as a free concert
and themed guided walks, Take your green thumbs to the Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong, on Sunday, 26 May 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- Join volunteer guide, JILL DON on the 30 YEARS OF
GUIDING CELEBRATION WALK – HEAL, KILL AND THRILL: HOW WE USE PLANTS, and learn more about the paradoxical nature of our relationship with plants. You do have to book
for this one. Walks depart from the Visitor Information Centre at 11.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. on Sunday, 26 May 2019.
- Enjoy a free family concert at THE MT COOT-THA SONGWRITERS FESTIVAL. The festival stage features
six hours of non-stop original entertainment from South-East Queensland's finest blues, roots, folk, country and acoustic songwriters. Boot scoot up to The Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong, on Sunday,
26 May 2019 from 11.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- The Blues Brothers band is back together and on a mission to entertain you with a showtime concert of music from the classic cult film. They Want YOU, so Think, put on your shades, don your fedora, and bounce into the Brisbane City
Hall for THE SOUL MEN BLUES BROTHERS SHOW, on Tuesday, 28 May 2019 from 12.00 noon
to 1.00 p.m.
- FLIPSIDE CIRCUS –
‘REVOLVE’ is a whirling, wheeling wonder, which bursts at the seams with energy and fun and brings together 14 of Queensland’s youngest circus stars, experienced artists, and a live DJ to create a high-energy performance that will keep the
whole family entertained. Do a wheelie down to the Redlands Performing Arts Centre (RPAC), 2–12 Middle Street, Cleveland, on Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 7.00 p.m.
- It’s on again! Visit King George Square in the City for the BRISBANE BIG CITY BARBECUE, a festival of fantastic food, great entertainment and a whole lot of fun, which raises funds for
those in need in Brisbane. Grab your munchies in King George Square, 100 Adelaide Street, Brisbane, on Friday, 31 May 2019 from 12.00 noon to 2.00 p.m.
- It’s easy being green at THE GREEN HEART FAIR, which celebrates its tenth year in 2019. There will be free sustainability workshops and displays, artisan markets, kids’ entertainment and 2,000 free native plants. Learn how to live
a more eco-friendly life with expert talks from War on Waste’s CRAIG REUCASSEL and Brisbane’s best eco experts, at the new location at 7th Brigade Park, 21 Kittyhawk Drive, Chermside, on Sunday, 2 June 2019 from 9.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- THE SOUND SOCIETY delivers a free live music program that will mellow your soul and leave you relaxed as you embrace chilled tunes in the lush green surrounds of Roma Street Parkland, on Sunday, 2 June 2019 from 9.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon.
PAGE 5 - click here
for more detals: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY,
launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and is ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors
on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions
regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe
Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
Enjoy a free family-friendly concert at THE MT COOT-THA SONGWRITERS FESTIVAL. The festival stage features six hours of non-stop original entertainment from South-East Queensland's finest blues, roots, folk, country and acoustic songwriters set in the cool and lush Brisbane Botanic Gardens nestled in the hills at the base of Mt Coot-tha. This is a drug and alcohol free event. There will be food trucks on site for those who get the munchies, or you can pack a picnic, slap on sunscreen, bring a hat, and just chill with your family and friends. Boot scoot up to The Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong, on Sunday, 26 May 2019 from 11.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (Photo by L.J. May)