Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
MARRIAGE EQUALITY? Australia says YES! Wednesday, 15 November 2017. Some people partied like there was no tomorrow. Others shed a tear and sent a vote of thanks to the Australian people who just told them they were real human beings. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
See below for a brief
overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THIS WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON FRIDAY, 3 NOVEMBER 2017
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost
or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Friday, 3 November 2017.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
- Get into it, feel
the beat, and take your appetite, friends, family and dancing shoes to BRISBANE FIESTA LATINA, happening in the Roma Street Parkland on Saturday, 4 November 2017 from 11.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- The DOG LOVERS SHOW BRISBANE is on at Royal International Convention Centre, Brisbane Showgrounds, 600 Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills on Saturday, 4 November and Sunday, 5 November 2017 from 9.30 a.m. to
5.00 p.m. Once you’ve bought your ticket everything you see and do at the Show is FREE.
- THE END OF THE LINE FESTIVAL is a free
music and food festival celebrating and showcasing the Brisbane precinct of Woolloongabba. It’s happening at Jurgens Street, Woolloongabba on Saturday, 4 November 2017 from 2.00 p.m. to 11.00 p.m.
- Older people might remember the captivating film adaptation of THE RAINMAKER, a classic play by N. Richard Nash, which starred Burt Lancaster as Starbuck
and Katherine Hepburn as Lizzie. ACT1 THEATRE will be giving the stage play their all on Saturday, 4 November, a matinee on Sunday, 5 November 2017, Friday, 10 November and Saturday, 11 November
2017 at The heritage-listed Old Shire Hall, Cnr Gympie and Hall Street, Strathpine.
across Brisbane will celebrate the release of the new film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express. They will hold discussions and trivia sessions at various times from Saturday, 4 November until Saturday, 11 November
2017. See the What’s On web pages for more details of when and where.
2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- The RUSSIAN RESURRECTION FILM FESTIVAL in Australia and New Zealand remains the largest, oldest and most respected Russian film festival outside of Russia. It’s ON
NOW at Event Cinemas, Myer Centre, Brisbane City, and runs until Wednesday, 8 November 2017.
- Feeling stressed and need the ultimate restorative
getaway? Escape to the Sunshine Coast for WANDERLUST, a four-day lifestyle event with yoga, music, speakers and outdoor adventure, to be held at the Novotel Twin Waters Resort on the Sunshine Coast from Thursday, 9 November to Sunday, 12 November
- The three-day AIRLIE BEACH FESTIVAL OF MUSIC spectacular features Leo Sayer, Kate Ceberano, Shannon Noll, The Chantoozies, and
more. RACQ members can save on tickets when they pre-purchase. It’s all happening at Airlie Beach up Whitsunday Islands way from Thursday, 9 November to Sunday, 12 November 2017.
- Celebrate National Recycling Week in style again this year at the RECREATE TWILIGHT MARKET AND PAPER FASHION SHOW in King George Square on Friday 10 November 2017.
- Brisbane’s iconic cabaret institution WOMEN IN VOICE celebrates its 25th Anniversary in November with a special concert at
the Brisbane Powerhouse on Friday, 10 November 2017 at 7.00 p.m. and Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 2.00 p.m. and 7.00 p.m.
the excitement and hear the acoustics at the UNDERGROUND OPERA COMPANY’s upcoming concerts at the Spring Hill Reservoir in Brisbane from Friday, 10 November to Sunday, 19 November 2017.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- Get along to the 2017 BRISBANE STAMP AND COIN SHOW, which will be held at QSAC (ANZ Stadium), Kessels Road, Nathan, Brisbane. DEALERS SHOWCASE is on Saturday, 11 November from 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m., and DEALERS AND COLLECTORS MARKET on
Sunday, 12 November 2017 from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- RSL Queensland hosts dozens of REMEMBRANCE DAY services and commemorations in
cities, towns and rural areas across the state on 11 November each year. The largest will be held at the Shrine of Remembrance, ANZAC Square, 228 Adelaide Street, Brisbane on Saturday, 11 November 2017 from 10.30 a.m. See the listing for more
- The inaugural EARTH ROOTS CULTURE FESTIVAL 2017 promotes a cross-cultural celebration of music, arts,
crafts and dance from all Australian communities. It’s a family day out for all ages and all ethnic backgrounds. It is ticketed. Head for African House (Balmoral Park), 10 Jean Howie Drive, Morningside on Saturday, 11 November 2017 from
10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- If you have a green thumb you will be captivated by the ORCHID SPECIES SHOW, a display of rare and near-extinct
species from Australia and around the world. It’s on at The Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens Auditorium, Brisbane Saturday, 11 November and Sunday, 12 November 2017.
- THE BRISBANE CITY POPS ORCHESTRA presents SHOWTIME! featuring some of Broadway’s best showstoppers played by this talented orchestra. Complimentary programs and post-concert refreshments will be provided.
Take yourself by intervals to the Schonell Theatre at The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Brisbane on Sunday, 12 November 2017 at 2.00 p.m.
- The government and arts supported SOUNDS ACROSS OCEANS presents an exciting program of COMMUNITY JAM WORKSHOPS for all creatives, young and old, in which all instruments, styles and levels of expertise are welcome. Sessions run at
the East Brisbane Bowls Club, 38 Lytton Road, East Brisbane on Sundays, 12 and 26 November and 3 December 2017.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- AMERICAN EXPRESS OPENAIR
CINEMAS (formerly known as Ben and Jerry’s) are back! A great lineup of feature films will light up a huge movie screen under the stars from dusk at South Bank’s Rainforest Green. It’s ON
NOW and runs until Thursday, 19 November 2017.
- Head to Mount Glorious, home to some of the state’s most talented
artists, and see their skills in action at ART WITH ATTITUDE on Saturday, 18 November and Sunday, 19 November 2017.
- Indigenous artist ALBERT NAMATJIRA pioneered painting Western-style landscapes that were completely different from traditional Aboriginal art in the 1950s and it made him the most famous Indigenous Australian of his
generation. See the NAMATJIRA STORY display at the Queensland Art Gallery (QAG) – it’s ON NOW and it’s free.
- THE QUEENSLAND
BALLET has always known that dance is a great way to get fit, stay flexible and have a whole lot of fun. If you want to learn to dance, you may as well learn from the masters. Their PROGRAM OF PUBLIC CLASSES are ON NOW and
will run until Friday, 22 December 2017.
- You are cordially invited to gather in King George Square for the much-loved
tradition of lighting THE BRISBANE CITY CHRISTMAS TREE. Head for King George Square in the Brisbane CBD on Saturday, 25 November 2017.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- Take advantage of a FREE ONLINE COURSE FROM THE SLQ: LOOKING @ 2.0 designed to help you navigate the world of online technologies. Available online now.
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and is ongoing, as well
as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live
the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING
MARRIAGE EQUALITY? Australia says YES! Wednesday, 15 November 2017. Congratulations poured in from around the world. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)