Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
Science will be taken out of the lab and onto the street during the WORLD SCIENCE FESTIVAL BRISBANE being held from Wednesday, 20 March 2019 to Sunday, 24 March 2019. The program will explore a range of fascinating topics, including Advancing Medical Science, Life on Earth and Beyond, The Story of Space, the Coolest Jobs in Science, and the World of Wearable Tech. And, of course, the effects of climate change. There’s also lots of fun to be had for FREE at STREET SCIENCE, with family-friendly activities for everyone to enjoy. For more information, go to the website at www.worldsciencefestival.com.au. (Caricature of Einstein: artist unknown)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
See below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
WAS UPDATED ON TUESDAY, 12 MARCH 2019!
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general
events for you and your family to enjoy.
pages were updated on Tuesday, 12 March 2019.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
- And now for something completely different! The NASH THEATRE presents a DOUBLE BILL OF RADIO PLAYS based on the works of SIR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE and AGATHA CHRISTIE, performed live onstage and featuring live sound effects. To attend an unusual
evening of mystery and intrigue, slink into The Brunswick Room, Merthyr Road Uniting Church, 52 Merthyr Road, New Farm. It’s broadcasting NOW and will run until Saturday, 16 March 2019.
- Brisbane’s FREE outdoor fitness series, the MEDIBANK FEEL GOOD PROGRAM, returns for 2019! Bookings are not required, and there’s a range of classes to suit all fitness levels.
Power walk down to South Bank Parklands and Queens Gardens in the City to indulge in some serious you time. The program is running NOW and continues until Saturday, 30 March 2019.
- Ipswich will host CMC ROCKS QUEENSLAND, the biggest international country and roots festival in the southern hemisphere. Global superstars FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE, THOMAS RHETT and LUKE COMBS will headline
three days and nights of all things country, at Willowbank, Ipswich, Queensland, from Thursday, 14 March to Sunday, 17 March 2019.
to Palace Cinemas in Brisbane, the 30TH ALLIANCE FRANÇAISE FRENCH FILM FESTIVAL marks the 30h anniversary of Australia’s most tantalising multi-cultural movie event. For such a momentous birthday, Artistic Director Philippe Platel has selected
a superlative line-up of 54 features and documentaries – the biggest in the Festival’s history. Take your eyes and curiosity on down to the Palace Barracks and Palace James Street, Brisbane, from Thursday, 14 March
to Sunday, 14 April 2019.
- At THE ESSENTIAL BABY AND TODDLER SHOW, you can enjoy a fantastic day out for the whole family. Parents, as
well as new and expectant mothers, can get free education, advice, and the chance to see an astonishing array of baby products. It’s FREE ENTRY if you register by 5.00 P.M. ON THURSDAY, 14TH MARCH. On the day, it will be $20 entry per person aged 16
and over. Stroll in to the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre (BCEC), Cnr Merivale Street and Glenelg Streets, South Brisbane, on Friday, 15 March to Sunday, 17 March 2019 from 9.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- People of all ages are invited to WATCH THE MOVIE SING IN THE POOL with friends and family to celebrate the 10 Year Anniversary
Celebrations at Mt Gravatt East Aquatic Centre. Grab a bite to eat from the sausage sizzle fundraiser for Mt Gravatt East State School. Take your bathers to Mt Gravatt East Swimming Pool, Corner of Wecker Road and Newnham Road, Mt Gravatt East, on
Friday, 15 March 2019 from 3.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.
- THE MULTICULTURAL TASTE OF THE WORLD FESTIVAL provides
an opportunity to embrace our common values by sharing in food, music and entertainment. Its FREE and no bookings are required. Take your foodie enthusiasm to 7th Brigade Park, 21 Kittyhawk Drive, Chermside, on Saturday, 16 March 2019 from 2.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- CARNAUSTRALIA is an authentic experience of Brazilian Carnival (from the State of Bahia) which is the largest cultural event and outdoor party in the World. The one-day event offers a celebration of Brazilian
culture, live music from some of Brazil’s most renowned musicians, and delicious traditional Brazilian food. Samba in to the Brisbane Showgrounds, 600 Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills, on Saturday, 16 March 2019 from 1.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- The WORLD HARMONY FESTIVAL 2019 is an excellent way to connect with multi-ethnic and mainstream communities and organisations to enhance multicultural understanding. It’s a day of FREE family fun and there’s plenty for the kids to do. Head
for the Robelle Domain Parkland, Education City Drive, Springfield Central, onSaturday, 16 March 2019 from 3.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
this year’s ST PATRICK’S DAY CELEBRATIONS, follow your own leprechaun, search for a pot of gold and hope for the Luck of the Irish during the many events being held over the weekend of Saturday, 16 March to Sunday 17th March 2019. See the pages
ON NOW?for more details.
- The Irish are taking over the Brunswick Street Mall. FINN MCCOOL'S is gearing up to bring ANOTHER EPIC ST. PATRICK’S DAY CELEBRATION for 2019. There’ll be two stages for live entertainment, food stalls, pop-up bars and even a
vintage truck complete with taps of your favourite beers. Dress head to toe in green and join in the biggest celebration of the year ‘when everyone is Irish’ and the craic is mighty! At the Brunswick Street Mall, Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley,
on Sunday, 17 March 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S
ON NOW? P.3
will be taken out of the lab and onto the street during WORLD SCIENCE FESTIVAL BRISBANE this month (check the schedule for Queensland REGIONAL AREAS as well). Now in its fourth year, the festival returns with both free and ticketed events featuring brilliant
performances, enlightening conversations, fascinating demonstrations and more, from Wednesday, 20 March to Sunday, 24 March 2019.
- Here's the scoop on Brisbane's hottest AND coolest festival. THE BRISBANE ICE CREAM FESTIVAL is on again, returning for its third outing with a bigger and better program with both free and ticketed events; you need to register. Take your
taste buds down to the Peters Ice Cream Factory site at West Village, West End, on Friday, 22 March 2019 to Sunday, 24 March 2019 from 11.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- The WEST BRISBANE ORCHID SOCIETY AUTUMN SHOW will allow orchid growers and enthusiasts to show their plants for all to enjoy. There will be demonstrations
and the opportunity to purchase plants and accessories. Plant yourself in The Auditorium, Brisbane Botanic Gardens, Mt Coot-tha, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong, on Saturday,
23 March and Sunday, 24 March 2019.
FEAST OF THE SENSES FESTIVAL is North Queensland’s premier Tropical Food Experience, showcasing the region’s impressive variety of rare and exotic fruits and lots of other epicurean delights for enthusiastic foodies. The Cassowary Coast’s
major festival is an hour’s drive south of Cairns. Take your tummies to Innisfail from Thursday, 28 March to Sunday, 31 March, 2019.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- You will be captivated by some of the most sublime short films documenting the beauty and power of the big blue at THE OCEAN FILM FESTIVAL WORLD TOUR, coming to the Powerhouse Theatre, Brisbane Powerhouse, New Farm, on
Thursday, 28 March to Saturday, 30 March 2019, from 7.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m., plus a matinee from 2.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m. on Saturday, 30 March 2019.
- GEAR UP THIS MARCH! Get ready for the ride of your life when THE BRISBANE CYCLING FESTIVAL rolls into the city. The festival will get you psyched up with professional, amateur and mass participation events at the celebrated
Anna Meares Velodrome and other venues across Brisbane, from Thursday, 28 March to Sunday, 14 April 2019.
- SUPERCELL: FESTIVAL
OF CONTEMPORARY DANCE 2019, presents a jam-packed program celebrating bodies in motion, with a stellar line-up of internationally-acclaimed artists using contemporary dance to spark critical dialogue and social change. Make your human movement statement at
the Brisbane Powerhouse and city surrounds from Saturday, 30 March to Sunday, 7 April 2019.
- THE DESIGNERS’ GUIDE: EASTON PEARSON ARCHIVE features 200 garments personally selected by designers PAMELA EASTON and LYDIA PEARSON to reveal the artistry, techniques and demi-couture practices that
placed the label at the forefront of Australian fashion for 27 years. It’s ON NOW at the Museum of Brisbane, Level 3, Brisbane City Hall, and will run until 29 April 2019.
5 - click here for more detals: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
WORLDS OF MYSTERY, launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and is ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free,
authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City
Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
Give it up for the BRISBANE COMEDY FESTIVAL, which this year turns 10 and offers a multi-venue extravaganza of giggles and gags. The Festival is ON NOW and will run until Sunday, 24 March 2019. Enjoy hilarious comedy acts, including stand-up, sketch, improv and cabaret. Organisers invite you to get skit-faced across three venues: the Brisbane Powerhouse, Brisbane City Hall and SunPAC in Sunnybank. Many of the events are FREE, so even if you’re broke you’ll find something to laugh about. Catch up with the March comedy events and check out what’s happening on this website with pics and information about who’s appearing and where, on the top and bottom of COMPETITIONS ETC. and WHAT'S ON NOW? Visit the Festival website at www.brisbanecomedyfestival.com for the full program. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)