Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
Go bananas for the world of primates at Queensland Museum’s latest exhibition, MONKEYS! A PRIMATE STORY, which features 60 spectacular taxidermy specimens and articulated skeletons. Ranging from the tiny mouse lemur to the mighty gorilla, get to know our closest living relatives through this hands-on, immersive exhibition. With adults at children’s prices, the whole family can get up close and personal with our simian friends. It’s ON NOW at the Queensland Museum, Cultural Precinct, Corner of Melbourne and Grey Streets, South Bank, and runs until 28 January 2019. Find out more at http://www.qm.qld.gov.au. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THIS WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON THURSDAY, 8 NOVEMBER 2018.
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
pages were updated on Thursday, 8 November 2018.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
- Start your Christmas shopping at the FINDERS KEEPERS MARKET, Brisbane’s biggest annual design market. Browse more than 200 stalls from local makers and favourites from all around Australia, and enjoy munchies
and live music, at the Brisbane Showgrounds, 600 Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills, from Friday, 9 November to Sunday, 11 November 2018.
- The SHERWOOD COMMUNITY STREET FESTIVAL is a FREE FAMILY EVENT, sponsored by Brisbane City Council, which keeps getting bigger and better each year. There will be a section dedicated to a huge variety of food
stalls, and a pop-up library, plus all the other market stalls, rides and live entertainment! Head for Sherwood Road, Sherwood, Brisbane, on Friday, 9 November 2018 from 5.30 p.m. to 9.30
- Assemble your geek squad – Supanova is coming! Come along to SUPANOVA COMIC CON & GAMING and discover a world of
family fun at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Mervale Street, South Brisbane, from 1.00 p.m. on Friday, 9 November to 6.00 p.m. Sunday, 11 November 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- THE RUSSIAN RESURRECTION FILM FESTIVAL offers a great selection of films this year for families, young adults and more mature viewers. The Festival will screen at Event
Cinemas in the Myer Centre, Brisbane. It’s ON NOW and runs until Wednesday, 14 November 2018.
- At the REDLANDS ETHICAL MARKETS
you will be inspired by beautiful gifts, art, handmade and local goods! Enjoy a day out and browse stalls filled with fair trade goods and local art, gifts and produce at the Redlands Christian Reformed Church, Cnr Sturgeon & Delancey Streets, Ormiston,
on Saturday, 10 November 2018 from 8.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
- At the SEVEN HILLS COMMUNITY STREET TREE
PLANTING EVENT you can plant street trees, meet your neighbours, enjoy a sausage sizzle and help grow our urban forest. It’s on at the Seven Hills Bushland Reserve, 508 Darcy Road, Seven Hills, Brisbane. Meet at the corner of Valaria Avenue and Latina
Avenue on Saturday, 10 November 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 12.30 noon.
- THE END OF THE LINE FESTIVAL is
a FREE STREET FESTIVAL which aims to showcase and celebrate the unique Brisbane precinct of Woolloongabba. Local and interstate acts will perform live in Jurgens Street Park to support the growing Brisbane live music scene on Saturday, 10
November 2018 from 2.00 p.m. noon to 11.00 p.m.
- Join volunteer guides who will lead groups of up to 20 people (you have
to be over 5 years of age) on a 2 KM GUIDED NATURE WALK along the Billai dhagun Circuit at Brisbane's internationally-renowned Boondall Wetlands to discover unique flora and fauna, on Sunday, 11 November 2018 from 9.00 a.m.
to 11.00 a.m.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- To mark the Armistice Centenary, the State Library of Queensland will light up red and PROJECT DIGITAL IMAGERY OF SOLDIER PORTRAITS from their Q ANZAC 100
collection during the lead-up to Remembrance Day. Projections are ON NOW, and will run from 6.00 p.m. every day until Sunday, 11 November
- REMEMBRANCE DAY SERVICES are being held IN BRISBANE and around QUEENSLAND. In Brisbane, RSL Queensland will host the State’s
largest REMEMBRANCE DAY CEREMONY at the Shrine of Remembrance, ANZAC Square, Brisbane on Sunday, 11 November 2018 at 10.15 a.m. (Gather in the parts of Ann Street that are cordoned off – Anzac Square is currently inaccessible due to restoration delays.)
- Head for the Riverstage for FREEDOM SOUNDS – AN ARMISTICE CENTENARY CONCERT. Kate Ceberano, Ash Grunwald and Pete Murray will join the Australian Army
Band Brisbane in a musical tribute celebrating the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI. It’s FREE, but bookings are essential (see event listing for how), and it’s on at the Brisbane Riverstage, City Botanic Gardens, Alice Street, Brisbane, on
Sunday, 11 November 2018. Gates open at 1.30 p.m.
- When you visit the ‘LOVE TO ALL, CONNIE’ EXHIBITION, you will discover
the courage, compassion and dedication of Sister Constance Keys, one of Queensland’s most decorated and beloved First World War nurses. Go to the Talbot Family Treasures Wall, Level 4, State Library of Queensland, Stanley Place, South Bank, Brisbane.
It’s ON NOW, daily from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- The WILD SILK STRINGS PROJECT is a nine-piece
ensemble that aspires to present a rich program of songs drawn from around the musical world, including folk, jazz, Brazilian, pop and classical repertoires. Attend this FREE concert in Brisbane City Hall, on Tuesday, 13 November 2018 from
12.00 noon to 1.00 p.m.
- The RECREATE FASHION SHOW AND TWILIGHT MARKET features couture created by a collection of Brisbane’s best
fashion designers from recycled materials, as well as handmade artisan wares at the BrisStyle Market stalls, plus your favourite food trucks. Head for King George Square on Friday, 16 November 2018 from 4.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- After a sell-out year, don’t miss the FINAL AFTER DARK SESSION FOR 2018! at the Queensland Museum. It's the ultimate post-work knock-off session that will impress a date and top up your science quota. It’s happening
at the Queensland Museum, South Bank, on Friday, 16 November 2018 from 5.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- In NIGHT ADVENTURES AT
KARAWATHA FOREST, you can enjoy a guided night-walk with staff from Brisbane City Council’s environment centres and discover the wonders of Karawatha Forest after dark! It’s FREE to attend, but you have to book (see event listing). Meet at the
car park for the Karawatha Forest Park and Discovery Centre, 149 Acacia Road, Karawatha on Friday, 16 November 2018 from 6.45 p.m. to 8.15 p.m.
- FOREVER EVERLY – A TRIBUTE TO THE EVERLY BROTHERS! PLUS – stick around after this concert for a dazzling performance on the mighty Henry Wills organ by award-winning organist DAVID
DRURY. Both FREE concerts are in Brisbane City Hall, on Tuesday, 20 November 2018 from 12.00 noon to 1.00 p.m. and 1.15 p.m. to 2.00 p.m. respectively.
- As the days warm up and dusk fades into evening, the WONDERLAND FESTIVAL 2018 slams into Brisbane with a unique carnival of burlesque, circus, music, theatre, comedy and more. A huge range of shows
to see at the Brisbane Powerhouse, 119 Lamington Street, New Farm, from Thursday, 22 November to Sunday, 2 December 2018.
- THE DESIGNERS’ GUIDE: EASTON PEARSON ARCHIVE features 200 garments personally selected by designers PAMELA EASTON and LYDIA PEARSON to reveal the artistry, techniques and demi-couture practices that placed the label
at the forefront of Australian fashion for 27 years. It’s on at the Museum of Brisbane, Level 3, Brisbane City Hall, from Thursday, 22 November 2018, and will run until 29 April 2019.
- Grab a blanket, picnic basket and bring along a group to mellow out and enjoy a FREE afternoon of GIGS & PICNICS IN THE CITY at the City Botanic Gardens, 147 Alice Street, Brisbane City, on Saturday,
24 November 2018 from 12.00 noon to 4.30 p.m.
- Reverse Garbage Queensland and Textile Beat proudly present an exhibition
of sustainable wearable art and invite you to ask the question: Is it really worn out? Consider this at the FREE event at the Princess Theatre, 8 Annerley Road, Woolloongabba, Brisbane, on Saturday, 24 November 2018 from 7.00 p.m. to 9.30
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- Prepare to be amazed – REGGIE WATTS, internationally renowned vocal artist/beatboxer/musician/comedian, genius, and leader of the house band for The Late Late Show with James Corden – is back! Book in now for his
100% improvised performance at the Brisbane City Hall on Monday, 26 November 2018 from 8.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.
MOLLY features the winners of three titles in the Australian Celtic Music Awards 2018. SALLY HARRIS and REBECCA WRIGHT are joined by talented multi-instrumentalist LACHLAN BALDWIN to bring to life colourful characters and stories steeped in mythology, mystery,
love and loss, in an enchanting act you won’t want to miss. This FREE concert is on at the Brisbane City Hall on Tuesday, 27 November 2018 from 12.00 noon to 1.00 p.m.
- You are cordially invited to gather in King George Square for the much-loved tradition of lighting THE BRISBANE CITY CHRISTMAS TREE. Head for the Brisbane
CBD on Friday, 30 November 2018 at 6.30 p.m. Wise to get there early – tree lights up at 7.00 p.m.
- THE CHRISTMAS
BRISBANE TWILIGHT MARKETS is a meet-the-maker event and is the only Brisbane-based marketplace selling 100% locally handmade products. There are also local food vendors, live music and a free Craft Workshop, making this a great event for the whole family,
in King George Square, Brisbane, on Saturday, 1 December 2018 from 4.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- Go bananas
for the world of primates at Queensland Museum’s latest exhibition, MONKEYS! A PRIMATE STORY, a National Museums Scotland exhibition featuring 60 spectacular taxidermy specimens and articulated skeletons. It’s ON NOW at the Queensland Museum, South
Bank, and runs until 28 January 2019.
- DRESS CODE merges art, design, craft and fashion to investigate
the diversity of cultural approaches to making, wearing and buying across the Asia Pacific, by revealing how contemporary designers and artists are responding to topics of slow fashion, ethical collaboration and sustainability. This FREE exhibition is ON NOW
at the Museum of Brisbane, Level 3, Brisbane City Hall, from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. daily, 7.00 p.m. Fridays, and will run until 28 January 2019.
- ALICE’S WONDERLAND: A MOST CURIOUS ADVENTURE is a travelling family-friendly exhibition presented by Museums Victoria, which brings basic science concepts to life for 3–8-year-olds and
their families. It’s ON NOW at the Cobb+Co Museum, 27 Lindsay Street, TOOWOOMBA, and runs until Monday, 28 January 2019.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY, launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and is ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and
DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS
TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING
EARLY CHRISTMAS CAROLS IN BRISBANE – bring along a chair or blanket and head for the NORTH LAKES CHRISTMAS CAROLS. There will be plenty of FREE activities and workshops, roving performers and a full program on the Village Motors Main Stage featuring talented local dance groups and choirs to get you singing along. It’s happening at Kinsellas Park, Innovation Place, North Lakes, on Saturday, 2 December 2018 from 3.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. CAROLS ON THE GOLD COAST – the SOUTHPORT YACHT CLUB is hosting free CHRISTMAS CAROLS at the Club’s newest facility at the Oxenford Watersports Centre. Bring a blanket and join thousands of locals and Club Members for a three-hour show – and a show-stopping event as Santa arrives on water via JetPack. Sail into the Oxenford Watersports Centre at Damian Leeding Memorial Park, Oxenford, on Sunday, 2 December 2018 from 6.00 p.m. (Photo by L.J. May)