Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
Celebrate the Indian ‘Festival of Lights’ and join the community for FREE DIWALI CELEBRATIONS in King George Square, Brisbane City, on Friday, 25 October 2019 from 11.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m. There will be music, Bollywood dancing, henna tattoos, delicious Indian and multicultural food, arts and crafts, fireworks and much more! DIWALI is also returning to Chinatown Mall with a FREE celebration of traditional live music, dance, performing artists, and special light displays. Head for the Chinatown Mall, Duncan Street, Fortitude Valley, on Saturday, 26 October 2019 from 4.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. (Photo by L.J. May S/S)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
See below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THESE PAGES WERE UPDATED ON WEDNESDAY, 9 OCTOBER 2019!
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Wednesday, 9 October 2019!
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
GERMAN WEEK is filled with a mix of free and ticketed events, networking opportunities, hands-on cultural activities, competitions and a whole lot of fun. Experience the broad range of what makes up Germany and how closely Germany ties in with Queensland.
It’s ON NOW and runs until Friday, 11 October 2019.
FASHION MONTH is presented by Wintergarden and is Queensland’s largest showcase of local designers, with more local labels on show and in store than any other event. It’s ON NOW with a mix of free and ticketed events, and runs until Thursday, 31
- Now in its 16th year, THE 2019 DARRA STREET PARTY will feature a variety of food stalls, community organisations,
live performances and entertainment. Take yourselves 14km from the city to this popular celebration in the southwest suburbs, next to the Darra Railway Station, 39 Railway Parade, Darra, on Friday, 11 October 2019 from
4.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- More than 35,000 people will gather to walk at THE LEUKAEMIA FOUNDATION’S ‘LIGHT
THE NIGHT’ events across the country, carrying lanterns in symbolic colours of blue, white and gold, in an evening of reflection to support all Australians impacted by blood cancer. Register for your lantern in Brisbane now, and attend this important
event at the South Bank Piazza, 410 Stanley Street, South Brisbane, on Friday, 11 October 2019 from 5.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Experience the annual Royal Australian Navy’s BEAT TO QUARTERS AND CEREMONIAL SUNSET, which honours the courage and sacrifice of the men and women of the Royal Australian Navy through more than a century
of service. Gather at King George Square, 100 Adelaide Street, Brisbane, on Friday 11 October 2019 from 6.30 p.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- Take time to see the 2019 RECOVERED FUTURES ART EXHIBITION during a very special Queensland Mental Health Week event. This is a collection of artwork by artists with a lived experience of mental illness. ALL ARTWORK IS FOR SALE. See
the exhibition at the Toowong Room, Brisbane City Hall, King George Square, Adelaide and Ann Streets, Brisbane City. It’s ON NOW and runs until Friday, 11 October 2019.
- The Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) art exhibition ‘A GENEROUS LIFE’ examines the legacy and influence of the much-loved Australian artist, MARGARET OLLEY (1923–2011) who
spent a formative part of her career in Brisbane. Margaret was a charismatic character who exerted a lasting impact on many artists as a mentor and friend over several decades. The exhibition profiles a life immersed in art – her own, and that of those
she supported. It’s on NOW in The Fairfax Gallery, Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) Foyer, South Bank Precinct, South Bank and runs until 13 October 2019.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- People love BRISBANE OPEN HOUSE! 119 buildings, the most ever, will unlock their doors to locals and tourists alike. There will be a children’s
program, speaker series, and a photography competition. Go to the website to check out the best of Brisbane’s buildings and spaces to snoop around on Saturday, 12 October and Sunday, 13 October 2019.
- From Saturday, 12 October to Saturday, 19 October 2019, more than 1,000 athletes will converge on Brisbane to participate in the INAS GLOBAL GAMES 2019, the world’s
largest sporting event for elite athletes with intellectual impairment. Held once every four years, this will be the first time that the Games have taken place in the Asia Pacific region. Come along to the FREE OPENING CEREMONY and help to welcome the athletes
to Brisbane, in King George Square, 100 Adelaide Street, Brisbane, on Saturday, 12 October 2019 from 4.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- WILLKOMMEN! Bring out the strudel and don your Dirndl or Lederhosen! OKTOBERFEST BRISBANE 2019 hits the Brisbane Showgrounds over two fun-filled weekends from Friday,
11 October to Sunday, 13 October 2019, and Friday, 18 October to Sunday, 20 October 2019.
- THE MOSAIC MULTICULTURAL
FESTIVAL is a world music and dance spectacular, with a new and exciting program including contemporary and traditional world music and dance, photo, art and spoken word exhibition, information and networking dome, cooking demonstrations, arts and crafts emporium,
diverse food stalls, children’s and family activities. Dance into the Roma Street Parkland, 1 Parkland Boulevard, Brisbane City, on Sunday, 13 October 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- The final Game Changers conversation for 2019 showcases cardiologist and founder of Heart of Australia, DR ROLF GOMES. Dr Gomes founded Heart of Australia with the vision of bringing specialist
cardiology services to the people living in rural and remote Queensland. This Australian first sees The Heart Bus, a custom-made mobile clinic, fully equipped with specialist diagnostic equipment, transform a vision into a reality. Book in for Auditorium 1,
State Library of Queensland (SLQ), Cultural Precinct, Stanley Place, South Bank, on Tuesday, 15 October 2019 from 6.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m.
annual BUDERIM GARDEN FESTIVAL for plant lovers and amateur botanists each year hosts a huge range of exhibitions, talks, presentations and workshops for garden lovers, and thousands come each year to learn something new. Take your green fingers to the Buderim
War Memorial, Burnett Street, Buderim, on the Sunshine Coast, from Friday, 18 October to Sunday, 20 October 2019.
Museum of Brisbane is throwing the ultimate Brisbane music LISTENING PARTY series dedicated to the experimental at heart, the fervently underground, and the shamefully overlooked. The Museum has invited some of Brisbane’s best music enthusiasts
and in-the-know types to curate a playlist of music we probably don’t know but deﬁnitely should. Book in for your spot at the Museum of Brisbane, Level 3, Brisbane City Hall on Friday, 18 October 2019 from 6.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- Take part in Australia’s biggest
community event, the GARAGE SALE TRAIL, and divert preloved items with more life to give from landfill and support a greener Brisbane, Queensland and Australia. It all kicks off on Saturday, 19 October and Sunday, 20 October 2019.
- The fifth annual GOLD COAST OPEN HOUSE unlocks buildings, places and spaces right across the city, from heritage gems to sports venues and inspiring
buildings, homes, churches, schools, universities, museums, art galleries, TV and radio stations, and public utilities. Snoop around them for FREE on Saturday, 19 October 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- In this FREE interactive exhibition, leading Australian artist Ben Quilty encourages children and families to EXPLORE THE ART OF PORTRAITURE in an artist studio setting.
Draw a portrait of a family member or a friend following a video with tips from Ben’s daughter Olivia, play with colour and distortion to create a digital self-portrait, and experience Ben’s work in a new way through painting replicas that you
can touch. It’s happening NOW at the Children’s Art Centre. GOMA, Gallery 1.4, and runs until 20 October 2019.
- Welcome to the 13TH ANNUAL 4MBS BRISBANE SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL! The beloved bard will return for three days of FREE, fully staged, professional outdoor performances of Shakespeare’s HAMLET, plus music, swordplay
demonstrations, food and more family fun. No bookings are necessary. Head for SANDGATE (Einbunpin Lagoon Park, Cnr Lagoon Street and Brighton Road, on Sunday, 20 October), the ROMA STREET PARKLAND AMPHITHEATRE (1 Parkland Blvd, Brisbane City
on Saturday, 26 October), and THE GASWORKS PLAZA (69 Skyring Terrace, Newstead, on Saturday, 2 November 2019).
down the rabbit hole and see the lighter side of politics at the free political cartoon exhibition, BEHIND THE LINES: THE YEAR’S BEST POLITICAL CARTOONS 2018, showcasing over 80 cartoons by 30 of Australia’s best political cartoonists. Running
alongside that exhibition is SWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS: 100 YEARS OF QUEENSLAND POLITICAL CARTOONS, featuring a series of political cartoons and objects from the SLQ collection. See it all for FREE and take part in gallery activities in the SLQ Gallery at the
State Library of Queensland (SLQ), Cultural Precinct, Stanley Place, South Bank. It’s ON NOW and runs until Sunday, 27 October 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m.
- At TRICK OR TREAT LITTLE STANLEY STREET, from 5.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m., families will see the street lined with colourful Halloween characters creating a trail of trick or treat
hotspots up and down South Bank’s restaurant strip, giving the chance for Halloween lovers to collect buckets of tasty goodies. The event is FREE but you do need to register before you head for Little Stanley Street, South Bank on
Friday, 25 October and/or Saturday, 26 October 2019 from 5.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
- Discover new
ideas, products and tips to inspire your next foodie adventure, plus see celebrity chefs demonstrate their delicious recipes live on stage at the GOOD FOOD AND WINE SHOW at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, South Brisbane from Friday, 25 October
2019 to Sunday, 27 October 2019.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- Celebrate the Indian Festival of Lights and join the community for DIWALI celebrations with music, Bollywood dancing, henna tattoos, delicious Indian
and multicultural food, arts and crafts, fireworks and much more! It’s FREE and it’s happening at King George Square, 100 Adelaide Street, Brisbane, on Friday, 25 October 2019 from 11.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m.
- Celebrate Diwali at the DIWALI FESTIVAL in Fortitude Valley. Special light displays will illuminate the Chinatown Mall precinct, and there
will be traditional live music, dance and performing artists. It’s FREE and it’s happening in the Chinatown Mall, Duncan Street, Fortitude Valley, on Saturday, 26 October 2019 from 4.00 p.m. to
- It’s time for the annual MANLY HARBOUR VILLAGE HALLOWEEN STREET PARTY, a FREE, family-friendly
and alcohol-free community event, with lots of entertainment on the shores of Moreton Bay. It’s happening on Saturday, 26 October 2019 from 1.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
- The SWINGALICIOUS BIG BAND will provide a bright and breezy morning concert and there will be sausage sizzles, food and plant stalls, and rides on a real STEAM TRAIN run by the Bracken Ridge
Central Lions Club, at McPherson Park, 146 Denham Street, Bracken Ridge on Sunday, 27 October 2019 from 11.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon.
- Families and kids can have a spooky day out at the popular HOCUS POCUS HALLOWEEN FAMILY FESTIVAL at the end of October. Dust off your princess dress, zombie mask or ghost gown and head for Bulimba Memorial Park,
Oxford Street, Bulimba, on Thursday, 31 October 2018 from 3.30 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- BRISBANE FIESTA LATINA is a Culture,
Food and Music Festival held to celebrate and share the diversity and liveliness of Latin-American culture within the wider community in Brisbane. Experience the warmth and happiness that Latin-Americans have to offer in this FREE event in the Roma
Street Parkland, 1 Parkland Boulevard, Brisbane City, on Saturday, 2 November 2019 from 12.00 noon to 8.00 p.m.
- Music enthusiasts won’t want to miss the HIGH ROTATION EXHIBITION, which dives into the songs, stories and images of the Brisbane music scene, exploring a world of musicians and managers, labels
and producers, venues and fans over the past 30 years. It reveals a snapshot of how popular music in Brisbane exploded from the local scene onto national and international stages. The exhibition is ON NOW at the Museum of Brisbane, Brisbane City Hall, and
runs until Monday, 20 April 2020.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
WORLDS OF MYSTERY at the planetarium. This event is ongoing and fascinating, as are a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing
service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting
new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
It’s time to start preparing yourself for the annual MANLY HARBOUR VILLAGE HALLOWEEN STREET PARTY! Ghouls, ghosts, ballerinas and fairies will lurk around the landscape, bent on thrilling and chilling you in the most fun way possible. This is Brisbane’s biggest FREE Halloween event with markets, best dressed competitions, live entertainment, movies in the park, rides, pumpkin carving, fireworks and a thrilling street parade. Register online at https://manlyharbourvillage.com/event/halloween-street-party-2019 to be part of the Best Dressed Parade and your chance to share in $2,000 of prizes. There will be prizes for best dressed boy and girl, adults and groups. Dress up and join the throng at this free, family-friendly and alcohol-free community event with over 13 hours of non-stop entertainment on two stages. The event opens at 11.00 a.m., main stage entertainment is from 1.00 p.m., the STREET PARADE is at dusk, and the SPECTACULAR FIREWORKS set to music kick off at 9.00 p.m. Get into the spirit and head for Manly Harbour Village, and Little Bayside Park, 42 Fairlead Crescent, Manly, on Saturday, 26 October 2019 from 11.00 a.m. to 9.00 p.m. (Poster courtesy of Manly Harbour Village)