Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
THE NIGHT NOODLE MARKETS, everyone’s favourite open-air Asian-hawker markets, will return to South Bank to sizzle, smoke and sear all your favourite foodie treats as one of the most popular events from Brisbane’s renowned GOOD FOOD MONTH line up. To check out what delicacies you can enjoy, go to the website at https://www.goodfoodmonth.com/brisbane/night-noodle-markets. It’s all happening in the Cultural Forecourt at South Bank on Wednesday, 24 July and running until Sunday, 4 August 2019. Times are from 5.00 p.m. on weeknights and 4.00 p.m. on weekends. (Photo courtesy of South Bank and modified by L.J. May)
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
and welcome to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
below for a brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THESE PAGES WERE UPDATED ON MONDAY, 8 JULY 2019!
ON NOW?' – low cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Monday, 8 July 2019.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
July, NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. The QUANDAMOOKA also celebrates Indigenous culture, country and people. NAIDOC WEEK
in Brisbane runs from Sunday, 7 July to Sunday, 14 July 2019 and the QUANDAMOOKA FESTIVAL is on NOW and runs until Saturday, 31 August 2019 across south east Queensland.
- Does the probability of hearing the usual school holiday mantra from your kids leave you with a feeling of dread? BEAT THE ‘I’M BORED!’ BLUES AT SOUTH BANK – head for
the South Bank Parklands to stimulate your kids’ minds and save yours. In Queensland, school holidays are from Monday, 1 July to Sunday, 14 July 2019. And it’s back to school for most Queensland youngsters on Monday,
15 July 2019.
- THE LITTLE GREEN ROAD TO FAIRYLAND, presented by the Queensland Ballet and the Queensland Music
Festival, is a magical fairy tale set in the Australian bush for the littlest lovers of dance and music. Waltz into the Playhouse Theatre at QPAC, South Bank, from Thursday, 11 July to Sunday, 21 July 2019.
- The AUSTRALIAN TATTOO EXPO IS BACK! With an emphasis on talent, the Expo invites the public to come and experience the Tattoo Industry up close and personal with over 250 extraordinary
artists from Australia and across the globe, not to mention daily circus performances and tattoo competitions. Get inked at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre (BCEC), South Bank from Friday, 12 July to Sunday, 14 July 2019 from
10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- The 18TH INTO GLOBAL RHYTHMS FESTIVAL is a FREE family event bringing you the finest music, including Country,
Rock, Reggae, Latin and Blues performed by internationally acclaimed artists. The festival will also offer children activities, arts and crafts stalls, along with irresistible food to cater to all tastes. The finale will be spectacular FIREWORKS at around
5.00 p.m. Head for the Beenleigh Show Grounds, 38-44 James Street, Beenleigh, Logan City, on Saturday, 13 July 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
PAGE 2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- At the 30TH TOURNAMENT WEEKEND of the ABBEY MEDIEVAL FESTIVAL AT CABOOLTURE, you can cheer jousting knights on their magnificent horses, with displays of iron-clad
warriors locked in battle and lots of activities to keep the kids entertained. Everyone will enjoy the displays, costumes and merriment at the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology, 1–63 The Abbey Place (off Old Toorbul Point Road), Caboolture,
Queensland (just north of Brisbane) on Saturday, 13 July and Sunday, 14 July 2019.
- The JOHN OXLEY DISTRICT ORCHID SOCIETY’S
ANNUAL WINTER SHOW is considered to be one of Brisbane’s premier orchid shows. There will be potting demonstrations twice daily, and cultural advice from some of Brisbane’s best growers available all week-end as well as lots of orchid plants and
displays for sale at very reasonable prices. Head for the Mt Coot-tha Gardens Auditorium, Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens, Mt Coot-tha, on Saturday, 13 July from 8.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m., and Sunday, 14 July 2019 from 9.00 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
- Get ready to sweat at THE 2019 FITNESS SHOW BRISBANE! The show will bring together some of the biggest fitness, health and wellness celebrities and brands
in Australia. The Fitness Show Brisbane returns for its seventh year to the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre (BCEC), South Brisbane, on Saturday, 13 July and Sunday, 14 July 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- It’s a great, inexpensive day out for car enthusiasts and the whole family during the fun, atmosphere and excitement of RACQ MOTORFEST, with funds raised
supporting the RACQ Foundation’s 2019 Flood Assistance Project. This year Motorfest celebrates 100 years of CITROËN! Head for the Eagle Farm Racecourse, Ascot, Brisbane on Sunday, 14 July 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to
- The SNOW4KIDS FESTIVAL returns to Brisbane for the Winter School Holidays with the ultimate winter wonderland featuring real
snowfall, snowman making, mini toboggan slopes and lots more. Book your tickets online now to save! It’s on at the South Bank Piazza, South Bank Parklands, from NOW until Sunday, 14 July 2018, with hourly sessions from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
PAGE 3 - click here for more
details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- Enjoy a winter wonderland with the whole family, with open-air ice-skating, exhilarating
rides, and captivating entertainment, at THE SKATING AT FESTIVAL. There will also be theme nights throughout the festival’s run, such as Lurve at Frost Sight (groan). Head to King George Square, 100 Adelaide Street, Brisbane CBD, from NOW
until Sunday, 14 July 2019.
- THE QUEENSLAND MUSIC FESTIVAL returns in 2019 with a program that is sure to delight and
inspire music lovers. This July, organisers are commemorating the festival’s 20th Anniversary by throwing a month-long celebration across the State! See the ‘What’s On Now?’ pages for details of the festival schedule.
- Experience the Sunshine State on a plate at REGIONAL FLAVOURS, Queensland’s premier FREE foodie festival. There will be lots of free entertainment,
from live music, street food stalls, and kid’s activities, to a thriving producer market featuring more than 80 stalls, delicious food, beer and wine, and more. Welcome some of Australia’s most popular chefs for two days of live cooking demonstrations,
book signings and celebrity spotting. Take your taste buds to South Bank Parklands on Saturday, 20 July and Sunday, 21 July 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
- THE BRISBANE WEDDING EXPO is a popular wedding fair in Queensland and the Brisbane area. This FREE annual expo is full of colour, inspiration, fun and great live entertainment for those tying the knot, with over 100
wedding professionals, vendors and displays. Bridal march into the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre (BCEC), at South Bank on Sunday, 21 July 2019 from 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- THE ORIGINAL GOLD COAST SWAP is getting bigger and better each year. Here you will find Veteran, Vintage, Classic Cars & Parts, Automobilia, Memorabilia, Model Cars, Antiques, Collectables,
and Australiana. Rev into the Mudgeeraba Showgrounds, Gold Coast, on Sunday, 21 July 2019 (set up available on Saturday afternoon) but trading is from 6.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon on Sunday only.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S
ON NOW? P.4
- FEEL THE NEED FOR STANDUP? Laugh like a drain at FREE OPEN-MIC NIGHTS across
Brisbane. Check out the detailed listing on ‘What’s On Now?’ on the menu at left for a Sit Down Comedy Club Open-mic venue near you in July 2019.
- THE NIGHT NOODLE MARKETS, everyone’s favourite open-air Asian-hawker markets, will return to South Bank to sizzle, smoke and sear all your favourite foodie treats as one of the most popular events from Brisbane’s
renowned GOOD FOOD MONTH line up. The markets are happening in the Cultural Forecourt at South Bank, on Wednesday, 24 July to Sunday, 4 August 2019 from 5.00 p.m. on weeknights and 4.00 p.m. on weekends.
- The second in SLQ’s Portrait of an Artist series for 2019 offers a unique insight into the life and the politically-charged work of Queensland
Indigenous artist GORDON HOOKEY, whose work is held in the public collection of most major Australian galleries as well as public collections in the United Kingdom, Japan, New Zealand and Canada. During this FREE event, see a film interview with Gordon, followed
by a Q & A session with him, in Auditorium 1, Level 2, State Library of Queensland (SLQ), South Bank, on Friday, 26 July 2019 from 6.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- The CAIRNS GEM FESTIVAL is an annual festival celebrating all things Lapidary! Gems, minerals, jewellery and more. Stall holders from around the country come together to display and sell
their rock, mineral, gem and jewellery collections. Rock in to the Cairns Mineral and Lapidary Club, 129 Mulgrave Road, Parramatta Park, North Queensland, on Saturday, 27 July and Sunday, 28 July 2019.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY at the planetarium. This event is ongoing and fascinating, as are a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults –
it’s enough to make your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a
200-strong team of volunteers who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
REV HEADS REJOICE! The original GOLD COAST SWAP is getting bigger and better each year. Here you will find Veteran, Vintage, Classic Cars and Parts, Automobilia, Memorabilia, Model Cars, Antiques, Collectables, and Australiana. Do a wheelie into the Mudgeeraba Showgrounds, Gold Coast, Queensland. There is free parking in the grounds (enter from Worongary Road). It’s happening on Sunday, 21 July 2019. Gates open at 5.00 a.m. on Sunday for stallholders. Saturday afternoon set-up is available from 1.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m. but trading is from 6.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon on Sunday only. Adult admission $5. Outdoor sites $10 (including driver – no booking is required). Check out the website at http://www.gcaac.com.au for more information. If you still have questions, contact David on 0428 279 291 or Col on 0409 825 913 – or email them on firstname.lastname@example.org. (Photo by L.J. May)