Event Horizon 2 - What's on Now?
Taste and sample your way through Australia's most delectable range of gluten free foodie delights, brought together under the one roof at the GLUTEN FREE EXPO in Hall 3, Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre, Merivale Street & Glenelg Street, South Brisbane on Saturday, 26 May and Sunday, 27 May 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. daily.
This is Brisbane! Queensland, Australia
Greetings and welcome
to Watchwords. This site is about writers, readers, artists, filmmakers and our beautiful City of Brisbane.
FIND OUT WHAT'S ON IN BRISBANE RIGHT NOW!
See below for a
brief overview of what's happening and then click on the appropriate link on this page, or the tabs on the menu at left for the full details.
THIS WEBSITE WAS UPDATED ON WEDNESDAY, 23 MAY 2018!
'WHAT'S ON NOW?' – low
cost or free general events for you and your family to enjoy.
These pages were updated on Wednesday, 23 May 2018.
PAGE 1 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW?
- Tune in to the
ABC and move closer to the TV – STARGAZING LIVE IS BACK IN 2018! Renowned Physicist Professor Brian Cox, and rock quiz chick and presenter Julia Zemiro, will be joined by a team of scientists and
space enthusiasts, including CSIRO's Dr Lisa Harvey-Smith, as they explore the wonders of the night sky across three big nights at 8.00 p.m. from Tuesday,
22 May to Thursday, 24 May 2018.
- The 30th anniversary
of THE SANCTUARY COVE INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW (the most highly anticipated marine event in the southern hemisphere) will be held on the Gold Coast in May. Live the dream over four days at The Marine Village, Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast, from Thursday, 24 May to Sunday, 27 May 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. daily.
- Plan your festival now, grab your loved ones, partners, family and friends, and make a date to attend
a glittering 10 days of MELT, the Festival of Queer Arts and Culture. Enjoy a scintillating program of theatre, comedy, music, cabaret, dance, musical theatre, queer tech, gaming and visual arts at the Brisbane Powerhouse. It’s ON NOW and runs
until Sunday, 27 May 2018.
- THE 2018 ANYWHERE THEATRE FESTIVAL
makes it easy for performers to perform anywhere but a theatre, for anyone to host or experience a performance in a space they wouldn’t expect. Download the guide and find out what’s on where. The Festival is ON NOW and runs until Sunday,
27 May 2018.
2 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.2
- Enter the amazing world of Italian Renaissance genius LEONARDO DA VINCI and see 500-year-old designs brought to life in an award-winning international
touring exhibition that showcases iconic machines and inventions inspired by Leonardo’s drawings. It’s ON NOW at the Cobb + Co Museum, 27 Lindsay Street, Toowoomba, and MUST CLOSE on Sunday, 27 May 2018.
- Unleash your creativity at the family-friendly BCC sponsored MAYO ARTS FESTIVAL 2018, an art-themed event with entertainment and a range of art workshops for all ages. Get ready to feed your soul (and your stomach with a range of delicious eats) at the Festival at St Margaret's
Anglican Girls School, 11 Petrie Street, Ascot from Saturday, 26 May 2018 from 10.00
a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Come and get to know your neighbours in a
fun family day full of food, kids’ activities, craft, sport, information stalls and live entertainment, in ACACIA RIDGE PARTY IN THE PARK at Grenier Park, 20 Oxley Street, Acacia Ridge on Saturday, 26 May 2018 from 11.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- Taste and sample your way through Australia's most delectable range of gluten free foodie delights, brought together under the one roof at the GLUTEN FREE EXPO in Hall 3, Brisbane Convention
& Exhibition Centre, Merivale Street & Glenelg Street, South Brisbane on Saturday, 26 May and Sunday, 27 May 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. daily.
PAGE 3 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.3
- To celebrate their 40th Anniversary, the SIR THOMAS BRISBANE PLANETARIUM is offering a jam-packed weekend of events with a variety of shows available at 40% off Cosmic Skydome show tickets. Head for the Sir Thomas
Brisbane Planetarium, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Mt Coot-tha, on Saturday, 26 May and Sunday, 27 May 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 8.30 p.m.
- The BOTANIC
GARDENS OPEN DAY will be filled with workshop activities, guided walks, delicious food trucks, and magnificent music from the Amadeus Orchestra and several of your favourite bands. Head for The Bandstand,
Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong, on Sunday, 27 May 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- During BYB18, some 5,000 people will descend on McPherson Park in Bracken Ridge for the annual BACKYARD
BONANZA. This year there will be NEW and FREE FUN ACTIVITIES for everyone, including some delicious munchies. Go to McPherson Park, 146 Denham Street, Bracken Ridge on Sunday, 27 May 2018 from
9.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.
- THE 4MBS FESTIVAL OF CLASSICS is Australia's largest classical music festival. Orchestras, choirs,
ensembles and soloists from south-east Queensland will perform concerts across the city at various venues until Sunday, 3 June 2018. Don’t miss the huge GRAND FINALE CHORAL SPECTACULAR in the Brisbane City Hall Main Auditorium on Sunday, 3 June 2018.
PAGE 4 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.4
- TRANSBOUNDARIES: ART + CONNECTION presents a collection of powerful work by seven artists and alumni of QUT in a FREE exhibition that explores environmental and social issues, merging dance with film
media installation with political documentation. Check out possible future worlds at the QUT Art Museum, QUT Garden Point, Brisbane. It’s ON NOW and runs daily until Sunday, 3 June 2018.
- More than 100 of Brisbane’s leading sustainability organisations, community groups, artisans, foodies, green thumbs,
conservationists, businesses and eco experts will be at the GREEN HEART FAIR, ready to share information and knowledge. It’s on at the 7th Brigade Park, Chermside on Sunday,
3 June 2018 from 9.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
- Explore Queensland’s unique history of innovation and invention from the late 1800s to the present day in MAGNIFICENT MAKERS, an exhibition at the State Library of Queensland. Through photographs, drawings,
blueprints and objects you can follow the lives and works of a group of remarkable, pioneering Queenslanders. It's on at the Philip Bacon Heritage Gallery, Level 4, State Library of Queensland (SLQ). The exhibition is ON NOW and will run daily until Sunday,
3 June 2018.
- BRIGHT AND BOUNDLESS takes you into the heart of Brisbane-based Designworks’ approach to designing THE QUEEN’S BATON for the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and you can also explore images of the
relay journey across the Commonwealth. The exhibition is on daily at the State Library of Queensland (SLQ) NOW and runs until Sunday, 12 August 2018.
PAGE 5 - click here for more details: WHAT'S ON NOW? P.5
- MOONS: WORLDS OF MYSTERY, launched on Saturday, 13 December 2014 at the planetarium and ongoing, as well as a galaxy of OTHER SHOWS and DISPLAYS for kids and adults – it’s enough to make
your jaw drop.
- Discover Brisbane and live the magic with a BRISBANE GREETERS TOUR. These tours are run by a 200-strong team of volunteers
who provide a free, authentic sightseeing service for locals and visitors on an ongoing basis.
- Visit the MUSEUM OF BRISBANE at City
Hall for exciting new exhibitions. The MoB updates its attractions regularly to both inform and entertain the citizens of Brisbane and visitors to our city.
- WALK THE BEE GEES WAY between Redcliffe Parade and Sutton Street at Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia – opened by Barry Gibb on 14 February 2013. ONGOING ATTRACTION.
The BOTANIC GARDENS OPEN DAY will be filled with workshop activities, guided walks, delicious food trucks, and magnificent music from the Amadeus Orchestra and several of your favourite bands. Head for The Bandstand, Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong, on Sunday, 27 May 2018 from 10.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.